loco directional lighting

Hi,

I've managed to get some tiny red and amber bicolour LEDs with the intention of fitting to my Hymek (amongst other things). The only doubt I have is how to arrange the lights - is it two red at the rear, 2 amber at the front? Or red on one side, amber on the other?

Any advice?

Ian

Reply to
Ian

In message , Ian writes

?????

If a loco is pulling a train it should not show red to the rear at all, as a red light means "this is the end of the train and it is complete". Did Hymeks have headlights? They had lighting behind the headcode blinds, but IIRC that was not too bright.

Amber is only used in traffic lights on the roads.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

I think that the amber referred to is the White running lights which frequently could be thought of as illuminated mud/yellow etc or generally mucky.

Two white ahead is fine, nothing astern when pulling a train but one red (rhs?) when running light. Station pilots and train make-up locos carried one white and one red both ahead and astern. I shouldn't worry about having red lights burning when hauling though as controlling it will put you on the slippery slope of computer controlled fun!

Reply to
Peter Abraham

referred to is the White running lights which

Use an appropriate decoder, wire it up correctly and a some simple function mapping. Where's the need for computer control?

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

It would be easier to put a detector on the coupling so that it sensed when it was coupled or running light. The directionality is easily done with a few diodes.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Thanks to all for the pearls of wisdom. It's the first time I've taken my DCC to this next step (ie lighting), and being a youngster, I've never seen a real Hymek in operation. I just like the look of them!

Someone mentioned the headcode... On mine, that is in the middle of the front - And looks like a good candidate for illumination....

Reply to
Ian

"Ian" wrote

Thanks to all for the pearls of wisdom. It's the first time I've taken my DCC to this next step (ie lighting), and being a youngster, I've never seen a real Hymek in operation. I just like the look of them!

Someone mentioned the headcode... On mine, that is in the middle of the front - And looks like a good candidate for illumination....

Ian, Can I suggest Express Models and their cracking website for any future projects ?

(20, 24, 25, tail lights 37 etc...)

It is really worth the extra touch of lights with DCC diesels !

Reply to
Andy Sollis CVMRD