Loco painting question from idiot

In the April Model Rail, the Q&A column contains some advice on a partial repaint of a Lima 47. The answer says to rubdown, degrease and prepare the surface properly before applying the new colour.

Pardon my ignorance, and all that, but what does "rubdown" actually mean? And would you be able to prepare the surface without spoiling the adjacent colours?

On a related point, if I attempted a partial painting of the warning panel yellow on Lima diesels, would any preparation be necessary, since there's no actual overpainting? And what about underframe weathering, which again would be paint applied to bare plastic.

Thanks for any advice.

Regards,

Stuart.

Reply to
Stuart Smith

Use fine wet and dry To remove the shine and give the paint something to grip too

Reply to
Trev

For what you are doing the 'degreasing' is the most important bit. As others say some wet and dry to take the shine off will do, although anything abrasive should will work. BTW don't forget to check your supply of front end detailing and transfers as applicable.

Reply to
64Magnette

I find wet and dry (carborundum paper) to rough for plastic - even the

1000 grade. Much better to use levelling paste from a car finishing materials suppliers. I think Halfords stock it. BUT it does need a good de-greasing afterwards.

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

Yes, that should be too rough.

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

Thanks for all the replies.

As for degreasing - have you any suggestions?

Regards,

Stuart.

Reply to
Stuart Smith