Merry Christmas All

No, just for my own experience.

If you ever find someone who is genuinely offended by the mention of Christmas, feel free to point them in my direction. I'm happy to see any real evidence for the existance of such a person. Until then, I'll stick with the theory that they're a mythical creature.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Goodge

No, I'm not. But your tendency to pigeonhole me speaks volumes for your own inability to comprehend things that are outside your own experience.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Goodge

"MartinS" wrote

I sure do! :-)

Apart from the toll, it's a really nice start to each day.

I (we) walk the dogs there sometimes.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Jerry" < wrote

A bit like my Jewish brother-in-law was forced out of Egypt when his father's business was nationalised by Nasser (I think).

John.

Reply to
John Turner

It must take a toll on you, though.

Reply to
MartinS

Several newspapers over here have run stories pointing out that most of the most popular secular Christmas songs were written by Jews....

Happy Christmas to all, this soporific Boxing Day. We're about to watch the first half of a Miss Marple (with Joan Hickson playing her), then we'll tuck into the ham (yesterday we had turkey), then we'll watch the

2nd half of the show, then we'll tidy up and off to bed. Oh, the dog needs walking - our daughter's dog, I hasten to add, which she brought along with the rest of the family.

Cheers, wolf k.

Reply to
Wolf K

And not half as offended as Australians if you think they are Kiwis :-)

Reply to
John Nuttall

That to me is the whole point. In this country the tradition is to wish people a Merry Christmas. That does not mean you require the listener to be christian, british or immediately convert. It is merely a greeting we've used in my lifetime. This is a uk newsgroup, the majority of readers are british or at least familiar with british custom.

Now if someone is offended by this greeting (in britain) then I have no interest in any discussion or contact with them. To be offended shows no interest in the opinions of others, in fact it suggests that we as a nation have no right to our customs. It is the word offended that makes me think that. If someone shows no interest then would think them merely impolite.

Now if am speaking to a someone that I know to not be British - say they are French - then may say joyeux noel as well or instead - especially if was in France. If was in any other country then would make the effort to find what if anything they have for this time of the year and any other special days for them and if suitable give the appropriate greeting.

This to me means I respect my countries tradition and customs and am willing to give the same respect to others. It is within reason of course, if found myself in a land of cannibals then would retire quickly and quietly.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

"John Turner" wrote

Oh, and he celebrates Christmas too. ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"MartinS" wrote

It's quicker commuting to the shop in Hull from Barton upon Humber than from many parts of Hull itself. 15-20 minutes most days.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Christopher A. Lee" wrote

He was referring to England in the generic sense, as the place where all the tax money is raised to support the Scots! ;-)

I'll get me kilt.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Chuckle - see how easy it is to get a bite?

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

: > "MartinS" wrote : >

: >> He might have been in Hull as long as you! : >

: > I live in North Lincolnshire, not Hull. : >

: > But when in Rome. : >

: > John. : >

: That to me is the whole point. In this country the tradition is to wish : people a Merry Christmas. That does not mean you require the listener to be : christian, british or immediately convert.

That is what makes the nation arrogant, it's tradition for ignorant Brits to also expect the non British to speak English - even in their own country - and when they don't understand, for the self same ignorant Brits to just shout at them (again in English) rather than (try) to learn their language.

: It is merely a greeting we've : used in my lifetime.

Perhaps to you it might be, obviously to you all Christmas means is a time to over eat and get pissed out of your tiny mind whilst watching crappy TV.

: This is a uk newsgroup, the majority of readers are : british or at least familiar with british custom.

...and there are whole sections of *traditional and native* British people who do not celebrate the religious festival.

: : Now if someone is offended by this greeting (in britain) then I have no : interest in any discussion or contact with them.

That is called being an ignorant (religious) bigot at best, or simple a ignorant s**en stain at worst!

: To be offended shows no : interest in the opinions of others, in fact it suggests that we as a nation : have no right to our customs. It is the word offended that makes me think : that. If someone shows no interest then would think them merely impolite.

The only people being impolite are those who just assume...

: : Now if am speaking to a someone that I know to not be British - say they are : French - then may say joyeux noel as well or instead - especially if was in : France. If was in any other country then would make the effort to find what : if anything they have for this time of the year and any other special days : for them and if suitable give the appropriate greeting.

But what about the *British* Jew, the *British* Muslim, the

*British* Hindu, the *British* Buddhist, even the *British* Atheists?

: : This to me means I respect my countries tradition and customs and am willing : to give the same respect to others. It is within reason of course, if found : myself in a land of cannibals then would retire quickly and quietly. :

No doubt you also never shop on a Sunday either...

Reply to
Jerry

: But your tendency to pigeonhole me speaks volumes for : your own inability to comprehend things that are outside your own : experience. :

Mark using his computer whilst catching his own reflection in the window...

Reply to
Jerry

: > Certainly did in your case! : : Chuckle - see how easy it is to get a bite? :

So you admit to being a troll then!

Reply to
Jerry

: : He was referring to England in the generic sense, as the place where all the : tax money is raised to support the Scots! ;-) :

Hmm, why am I thinking "RBS"? I note that the SNP have quietly dropped the idea of basing their (independent) economy on the Icelandic model...

Reply to
Jerry

[...]

Well, what about them? Are they like you?

Somehow I doubt it.

Reply to
Wolf K

Lol. Ad homenim, projection and finally abuse. It's all there :-)

Mark

Reply to
Mark Goodge

: >"Mark Goodge" wrote in message : >news: snipped-for-privacy@news.markshouse.net... : >

: >

: >: But your tendency to pigeonhole me speaks volumes for : >: your own inability to comprehend things that are outside your : >own : >: experience. : >: : >

: >Mark using his computer whilst catching his own reflection in the : >window... : : Lol. Ad homenim, projection and finally abuse. It's all there :-) :

Well stop posting it then Mark! All you are doing, in accusing me, is reflecting the exact same 'qualities' back on yourself!

Reply to
Jerry

No it doesnt, that is a totally unrelated discussion.

Heck no, theres lots more to it than that. Nativity plays, carol services, star wars on TV ..... Dont drink any more.

But are they familiar with the British custom ?

No it doesnt - see below.

Explain to me how they could be offended - uninterested ok, not bothered ok. Explain to me their preference ok. But offended by a traditional greeting of this country to other people of this country. It equates to an immigrant requiring me to speak to the immigrants language to everyone else in this country instead of english. Should I wear shorts and a hat with corks rather than traditional english dress to avoid upsetting Aussies ?

Yes I do.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon