Moaning about new models.

"Colin Meredith" wrote

Nible, nibble, bit bite!!! ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

So, it is you with the effigy and the pins ;-))

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Meredith

"Colin Meredith" wrote

Just a bit of Christmas humbug me ol' china! ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Dear Santa,

I have sent you a list of the UK models I would like ...... ;-) Mince pies and a tipple again this year...??

Colin

Reply to
Colin Meredith

Hear hear! (sp?)

This thread has certainly stirred up a hornet's nest - and just because someone doesn't agree with what appear to be an ever-growing number of rivet-counters who seem to be expecting micron-accurate renditions of locomotives - for christ's sake, some people need to get a grip on reality! I don't mind the odd inaccuracy here or there, after all it's unreasonable to expect total and utter accuracy - and as for counting ever little minor inaccuracy and listing them... well... as I said, some people really should get a grip. It's only a hobby after all, there's really no need to be quite so fanatical over it.

--

***
*** Updated 13 December, 663 images online. Rich Mackin (rich-at-richmackin.co.uk)

"Colin Meredith" wrote

(Very) large Famous Grouse please - no connection other than as an often inebriated users!

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Colin Meredith" wrote

Yeah, I think I follow you a bit better... I wonder if some of my other e-friends here are perhaps falling into the same trap and not really understanding what it trying to be said.... With a lack of smiles or grimaces, the written word can be interpreted in many ways ! I know, I've done it in real speech not just text!

It's nearly Christmas - Remember during the wars the fighting sides would stop on Christmas day and play football together? Can we agree that there will always be someone who won't agree? whoever is right or wrong ! :-) I for one as one of the younger modellers on this group would like us all to get on better, but even I see that isn't always gonna be possible ? Or could it?

Andy :-)

Reply to
Andrew Sollis CVMRD

"Colin Meredith" wrote By answering what you have stated, I decline to say anything further on the

Nah, I'm not like that! Honest! See my previous post from today ! I'll try to see the good in everyone... ;-)

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Sollis CVMRD

You don't mean the featherless variety... ;-)

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Meredith

Fancy a game of football ;-))

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Meredith

1969 (Rossendale) Sqn ... About the only thing I missed was Hong Kong, got the other plums, Berlin, The Rock fights in just about everything.

Almost funny story follows ...

Whilst in the TA I was sent for basic training at Strensel (spelling?) barracks in York. One day I was chatting with the lieutenant in charge of my platoon (POs were allowed to do things like that). A few thousand feet overhead some RAF Jet Provosts were buzzing about, the two pips sayeth unto me, "Do you know what those are?"

I spoke "Jet Provosts sir".

(surprised) "Oh, well done" sayeth the 2 pips.

"Thank you sir" say's I, "They're Mk5s".

"Wilson. You're taking the piss now" he says.

I say, "No sir, the RAF only fly's Mk3s and Mk5s. The 5s are pressurised - of course you'd have to have telescopic vision to see that at this range, however they've got increased internal tankage compared to the Mk3s so they don't need wingtip tanks, as you can see, those above don't have wingtip tanks so they must be Mk5s". (Feeling the ground sinking beneath me I didn't feel that further classifying them into 3As and 5As would be politic at this point)

"Oh all right then" say's he, "where did you learn that?"

"I was in the air cadets sir".

"Oh well done, so was I", say's he, continuing; "I was a corporal".

"I was a CWO with a PPL ... (long pause) ... sir".

One day and 8 bollockings later the section corporal was giving us a lesson in AFV recognition and vulnerable areas, when I went to the trouble to correct him and expand his knowledge I certainly didn't anticipate being well on the way to yet another bollocking. ;-)

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Yup, but if everything was perfect were would your sales come from for accessory parts, paints, materials etc. Now having once been involved in retail I'd guess that's where you get the quickest stock-turn and get the highest mark-ups :-)

Reply to
Chris Wilson

American, Association, Australian, Gallic, League or Union? :-)

Reply to
Chris Wilson

"Chris Wilson" wrote

Sad, but it seems the biggest market these days is the *collectors' market* and because they don't really seem to give a toss about the authenticity of the model the manufacturers seem to be able to get away with blue murder.

It's also true to say that the vast majority of retailers gave up on the small detailing parts years ago because of the fickle nature of that market. I suppose that paints & glue and maybe track are about the only thing retailers have a hope of making a crust on, but I'd hardly call it quick turnover. Just consider with the proliferation of modern liveries how many different paint colours & transfers, to name just two, it would be necessary to carry.

I can't even remember the last time we were asked for GNER transfers - and THEY work into Hull!

John,

53A Models, Hull.
Reply to
John Turner

Table?

Reply to
John Lancaster

"Chris Wilson"

What about Canadian? Different game than the Americans play.

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

Roger T. Ex CWO 2327 Sqn.

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

Shame really, I'll spend a tenner (or less) for a Pug or similar small shunter then spend as least as much modifying it, in fact as it happens just before reaching for the keyboard I've just completed all the pre-painting stage on a Dapol Pug that's now got a new chimney, sprung buffers, 3 link couplings, guards to protect workers walking under the wheels and I've even added a small bunker behind the cab. Yes I know it's not prototypical but it's one of several similar creations for the industrial (my!) part of my son's layout.

I simply can't see the point of buying a mechanical model such as a powered engine then putting it up on a shelf or locking it away.

Well that's a very good point, I'll be honest I suppose like many folks when I need detailing parts I go to Mainlytrains because he's about teh only person I know who has such a wide variety of stock - in stock. A general retailer simply couldn't carry the same number of diverse items as he does - and remain in business.

Yes well it's all a bit modern isn't it ... like all this modern stuff ... rows of identical cardboard boxes on wheels, doesn't matter which way they point they all look the same ... now if they had a few "Kings" or a L&Y "High Flyer" or two on the books making regular runs somebody might mistake them for a real railway and try to model them. :-)

(Actually I travel by GNER quite a lot and thanks to expenses I always get a good seat, also I always manage to time it so I travel on one of the "Pullmans" or other named services and I don't care what anyone says the service is excellent - the view at Peterborough's a bit ominous though)

Reply to
Chris Wilson

This is becoming a club ... The ex ATC Model Railway Club :-) Still it beats building Airfix Spitfires :-)

Rossendale, East Lancs, about halfway between Bury and Blackburn, the SHQ was in Rawtenstall which incidentally is one of the termini for the preserved East Lancs Railway - but I still say that they should have preserved the Helmshore -> Stubbins route, there are some superb viaducts on that line.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Havant.