Moaning about new models.

God help the lot of you if you have folks defending the poor research and die work on the current Bachmann offerings with statements like this!

Why bother with having separate Class 44 and 45 locomotive models- they look similar enough to me. ;~)

That extra 4 ft on the FP is quite noticeable thank you as are the egregious errors in the Class 44....

Pete

Reply to
Pete Piszczek

"Pete Piszczek"

On the same line, why bother with a variety GWR steam?

One 0-4-2T

One 0--6-0PT

One 2-6-2T

One 2-6-0

One 4-6-0

That should just about cover all your GWR/BR(W) needs. After all, they all look the same. :-)

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

Also 2326 was Clay Cross -Derbyshire 2429 was William Rhodes School Boythorpe Chesterfield Derby's

-- Regards

Gray Staff Cadet ATC Marksman / Aircraft Rec team leader Chippy- Domine T1 [HS125]- Sedburgh- Cadet 31 - Blanek- T61 -

Reply to
Gray

Isn't that a good enough reason for Bachmann to produce both types?

John.

Reply to
John Lancaster

How about standing on a table having a kickabout with a full size football? :o)

John.

Reply to
John Lancaster

=>That extra 4 ft on the FP is quite noticeable thank you as are the =>egregious errors in the Class 44.... =>

=>Pete

Sure, those 4ft are norticeable - when the locos are side by side... And in N. America there's enough of a market that it pays to make the longer frame and mechanism to fit under the FP. But what's your market in the UK? Not only is it smaller in numbers, but to judge from the layout write-ups I've seen, UK modellers buy fewer locos than we do. We buy more just to be able to repersent the typical 2-4 unit lashups that head up our trains. :-)

My point was that when you have diesel classes that differ very little in length, _and_ share the same basic body style, most modellers won't notice a few feet of difference in body lengfth most of the time - so, in order to save tooling costs, it may very well make economic sense to fudge one or both bodies so they will fit the same mechanisms. Details such as radiator shape and placement, fuels tanks, etc have a far greater effect on apparent realism than body length does. So does smooth operation.

The bottom line is, you can either have reasonably priced models that share some common components, and accept the resulting compromises, or you can have exact scale models with no common components, and pay twice as much or mroe. The bread and butter of the manufacturers is _not_ the scale modeller, but the person who likes trains and would like to play with them (more or less eriously) from time to time. Such a person is not willing to pay the premium for exact scale models that the scale modeller would be willing to pay. In fact, a lot of scale modellers are unwilling to pay that premium, too. They would rather buy a cheap near-enough model, an extra body shell or two, and a pile of parts, and hack and bash to make that scale model they want. The fact they may well end up paying more than they would for a high quality model in the first place gets lost along the way - I guess theyr'e having too much fun to notice how much it's costing them. :-)

I was talking about how we see - keep in mind that all modelling is rthe creating of illusions, and anyone who thinks exact scale is the way to create the illusion of reality hasn't really paid attention to how we create that illusion of reality when we look at a layout.

All that being said, I _do_ expect accurate paint jobs and accurate numbers! Preferably with a prototype photo or two included in the instruction leaflet.

HTH

Wolf Kirchmeir ................................. If you didn't want to go to Chicago, why did you get on this train? (Garrison Keillor)

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

May as well chip in here...

Flt Sgt 316 Sqn Leigh Lancs.

Senior...never did get that yellow lanyard :-(. Remember those itchy battledress's! I used to rub dry soap down the crease of my trousers...great crease but it gave me one hell of a rash.:-)

Aircraft...only 1...a Vulcan..during gliding training at Scampton.

Reply to
IanClarke

Ah, East Midlands Wing (As was!) I know well the Clay Cross chaps (or did!)... Not sure about 2429 though..?

Dad's still in, at 1803 Hucknall (home of the Flying bedstead!), but I left as I started shifts for Notts Police (as a Civilian!)

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Sollis CVMRD