Moaning about new models.

"Colin Meredith" wrote there is no excuse on this earth for ANY manufacturer to get

Colin, Do you make mistakes? Or are you perfect?

We know computers have a lot of input these days, but there are still "human error" factors.

Correcting one error may highlight an error somewhere else... How long can\do you go before you say "that will do" or "It's perfect"?... I would say it's a personal preference, and the unfortunate thing is that we as modellers with an interest, may have a higher standard of personal preference than someone being paid £xx,xxx per annum and sell us a loco...

Andy

(The man who never made any mistakes never made anything...Take a woman - where did they come from?)

Reply to
Andrew Sollis CVMRD

"John Sullivan" <

Yep, one or two percent. Of course, there are exceptions.

Of course, we Canadians have the same grades as the Americans. 1% or 2% at most. Again, with exceptions.

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

"John Sullivan"

Come on John, you know what I mean. We are discussing minimum constant speed, not a speed curve up to 5 or 6 mph.

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

In message , Colin Meredith writes

So what is the difference between 0 m.p.h and 0.0000000000001 m.p.h and can you tell the difference between them?

Reply to
John Sullivan

In message , Roger T. writes

I wasn't aware that we were discussing minimum constant speed. I reckon it would be easy for the driver to go at, say, 2 mph by continually applying power for a while, then shutting it off again and coasting.

Reply to
John Sullivan

The difference, John, is in the figures you quote and YES it is possible to tell the *physical* difference between them over time and distance.......this relates to "any" movement, however slight.

Regards,

Colin Meredith.

Reply to
Colin Meredith

Before? Or after?

Reply to
MartinS

"John Sullivan"

You can do that, just "kick" the unit using a throttle. However, that is just coasting and not under power..

In North America, the accepted way of moving a light loco (Which by rules definition means any number or locomotives, coupled together, and being run in multiple) at a dead slow speed is to work against the brakes.

Start with the independent brake "On".

Open throttle to notch one.

Bail off independent brake until loco starts to creep against the brakes.

That way, you can, for a short distance - as in coupling up, run at less than walking pace.

However, with the brakes fully released, and in notch one, the minimum speed is around 5 to 6 mph.

Of course, you can always, when running, shut the throttle, apply the brakes, and then release them when you're at a very low speed. However, then you are just coasting, not running under power. Besides, before coupling up, you MUST come to a complete stop not less than 10 feet from the coupling.

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

I am bemused how you would describe yourself in the hobby then? A Collector? A modeller?

Personally I am a Runner. as long as it looks ok (I may do some weathering and detailing, but not to rivet counter standards) and runs well it will do for me if I like and want it, same goes for most members of our club. I still say we out number you far to heavily for manufactures to be worried. Its when some thing comes aout and does not sell it will be interesting?

But still much better than 5 years ago?

Reply to
piemanlarger

I was actually referring to the circuit board. it has a mark by the NMRA dcc plug, indicating pin one, which in turn indicates the direction the plug is fitted. If it is not intended to be a dcc ready loco, why put a dcc socket in the board, one which is undoubtably incorrect, and which, until you try to use it, noone has any idea is incorrect.Putting body accuracy aside, this is sloppiness of the highest order, to use the car analogy, it would be like ford sending out cars with the foot pedals reversed, without telling anyone. Cost cutting to the extreme if they havent tested a single one of a production of how many thousand. If they have tested them, the situation is even worse, as they knowingly sent the models out anyway. Probably with the phrase 'the mugs will buy anything' floating around the marketing department. Any large company worth its salt will want an idea of consumer reaction to new products, there are many ways to go about this, the easiest of which is to monitor these newsgroups. If anyone from Hornby has come accross this thread, do me the honour of telling me which of these two ways you shafted me. At least Id know for next time.

Mark Bishop

Reply to
valetman

Depending on the loco type, and other factors.

Alcos, with a load, most probably yes.

If an EMD, and light engine, then no way.

Reply to
Mark Newton

"piemanlarger" wrote

I'd suggest a dealer in second hand goods! ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

And one thing that seems strange to me is that no one seems to moan about the gauge of 4mm models. It seems okay for historical reasons to accept this most basic of errors, but woe betide a manufacturer who leaves off some obscure little vent!

I don't mind that my ancient Lima 47 is probably woefully inaccurate, or the cylinder draincocks were but a glint in the mlikman's eye when I got Flying Scotsman, because they is, after all, justs model, and not ACTUAL a 47s and A3s, and as such it doesn't bother me that it doesn't even run on the correct track gauge!

Ronnie

--

Due to recent viruspams, any email containing the word "Microsoft" will not be received.

Reply to
Ronnie Clark

really, so what the does it it matter to him as long as they sell??

Reply to
piemanlarger

"piemanlarger" wrote

I'm a dealer, but as I'm also an enthusiast first and foremost it certainly matters to me (whether they sell or not)! :-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Ronnie Clark" wrote

Fine, no problem with that, you're just proving the point that some people are easily satisfied.

I know a number of people who buy OO-scale models and convert them to EM or PM - they traditionally didn't buy OO-scale stuff because it was crap, now it's improving they have started shelling their money - do you reckon the manufacturers want to keep their custom?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Andy,

I'm not suggesting that somebody somewhere won't complain, it's just that there's no excuse for the incorrect model being pushed out by the manufacturers.

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Meredith

I was a collector then modeller who is fed-up with the UK market and what it offers and just how long it's taking to do it.........the manufacturers need to do much more for the prices they're charging.

Illness and work comittment has caused me to delay the new loft layout. I am definitely not a dealer, I just decided that I wasn't happy with what the manufacturers were/are producing so I have hundreds of models I wish to get rid of but I've no intention of giving them away either.

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Meredith

You may suggest what you will but your wrong in that assumption.....I can assure you..... ;-)

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Meredith

By answering what you have stated, I decline to say anything further on the grounds that you may attempt to incriminate me further than you may have done thus far. Not perfect but not bad either.....;-)

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Meredith