New Hornby diesel speculation...

The detailing already mentioned about this model in the Rail Express article should make it "even better" than the Bachmann model. I'd like to see working lights and adjustable radiator grilles (just like the prototype) as well.

Cheers, John.

Reply to
John Lancaster

Sigh! If only you knew what my day job was! I wouldn't give it up for the money!!! ;op

Cheers, John.

Reply to
John Lancaster

Tosh, IIRC they are either screwed on or have a single rivet that needs drilling out.

That is one reason why I welcomed the fitting of screw link couplings

It will depend on what their market research indicates, the extra cost might not be warranted, although they might still make provision and have the coupling as an 'after market' extra.

ISTM that there is a divide here, those who just want to look a models and those who want to use them, by your reckoning the models should be fitted with 18.83 wheel sets from the factory and those who want to use them on the more common OO gauge will have to fit the non scale wheels.....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

improvement.

But you suggested a Western, are you saying that Heljan's efforts and so bad that the above doesn't apply ?

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

The message from "John Lancaster" contains these words:

Can I join you?

Reply to
David Jackson

"kim" wrote

Hmm, what's a modern auto-coupler? Many Gresley coaches and Pacifics had drop buckeye couplers from the 1930s onwards which were pretty much automatic.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Francis Knight" wrote

Well let's hope they make a better job of uprating the 08 than they did with their particularly feeble attempt at *improving* the GWR King class 4-6-0.

We all know that Hornby can produce quality when they try - the new A4 is superb, and their recent models of the Fowler 2-6-4T, Black 5 and 8F were all extremely creditable. Not convinced by the Q1 though.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"John Lancaster" wrote

LOL - I'd swap ANYTIME John! :-)

Most enthusiasts would DIE to have your day job!

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"kim" wrote

They've not MADE anything for a few years, like the rest of the Hornby & Scalextric ranges their feeble 47 is manufactured for them in China.

John (in pedant mode).

Reply to
John Turner

Thanks for the info Steve :D It should be interesting to see how the 08/09 compares to the Bachmann example, while the 60 and Seacow will be welcome additions to my fleet IF Hornby get them right... (I ain't so sure about their ability to make good modern wagons)

--

***
*** Rich Mackin (rich-at-richmackin-co-uk) MSN: richmackin-at-hotmail-dot-com

Jerry wrote:-

...based on on a descrioption provided by someone else.

Certainly not 'bad' but not as complete as it might have been. Some buyers might still prefer the Heljan even if there was a Hornby alternative.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Grandfather rights do not guarantee bumper sales, leading to a healthy balance sheet.

That is a rather expensive way of plugging a hole in the market. It would be much cheaper for Bachmann to bring out the missing version.

Reply to
John Sullivan

Whilst we all seem to be in grammatical pedant mode, perfect tenses can be either present, past or future perfect. "have produced" is actually present perfect, ie production is still continuing.

If it said "had produced", then that would have been past perfect ie production stopped.

Reply to
Laurie

In message , John Turner writes

Saves me dying then, lol! ;-)

Reply to
Kenny

According to their new releases part of the website, there will be! Hornby are rereleasing their Western in a weathered maroon finish.

Funny, Heljan bring out the Hymek and Hornby rerelease their old one, now they're doing the same with the Western just after Heljan release their new one. Do Hornby have an old 33, 26 or 27 they can rerelease when Heljan release theirs? Aha, so that's REALLY why they bought Lima...8^)

Merry Christmas to all.

Reply to
Michael Walker

But finesse doesn't equal finer. Nor does it apply only to protruding features. I was thinking more in terms of crispness of door edges, strapping and rivet/bolt detail.

Cheers, Francis K.

Reply to
Francis Knight

"Francis Knight" wrote

Maybe, but if we take a look at the Hornby 50(which along with the Heljan Hymek) is probably the benchmark for British diesel models, the former is vulnerable when handled because of the fine nature of some of the detailing. I'm not criticising that detail, just suggesting that the potential for detail to get damaged ought to be a consideration at the design stage.

Certainly with some of the more recent Hornby models of steam locomotives, the detailing there really is a problem on locos which need to be handled on a regular basis. Hornby's very fine etched valve gear, for instance, is much less forgiving than the 'stamped-out' valve gear on Bachmann models for example.

Practicality needs to be a consideration too!

John.

Reply to
John Turner

John Turner wrote:-

I'd rather have ...Jerry...'s job :o)

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"kim" wrote

As I don't know what Jerry does, I couldn't possibly comment, but it would have to be exceptional to beat Mr. Lancaster's. :-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

John Turner wrote:-

It is. As far as I can tell he's a mechanic in a repair garage. That's practically a license to print money combined with gorgeous women throwing themselves at him all day. As much as I would lke to drive a train I wouldn't want to have to do it every day. Besides, with the money I could earn as car mechanic I could buy any train or woman I wanted :o)

(kim)

Reply to
kim