New Hornby M7 ?

In message , John Turner writes

Not just on inter-regional workings: some Gresley coaches were allocated to the Western Region and had W9999E-type numbers.

Reply to
John Sullivan

"MartinS" wrote

Yes to both, *but* they were *totally* different drive units linked in design only by the Ringfield name.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"John Ruddy" wrote

I wonder why?

It's not because the trade have not supported the Southern in the past. Tri-ang produced the Bulleid BB 4-6-2, a King Arthur class 4-6-0 in the form of "Sir Dinadan", the M7 0-4-4T and even an EMU whilst Hornby added the

0-6-0T which became "Thomas", the ex-Dapol A1X 0-6-0T, rebuilt Merchant Navy & light pacifics and latter the Q1 0-6-0.

Hornby Dublo came along with the rebuilt WC and the R1 0-6-0T and in more recent years Bachmann have added N class 2-6-0 and Lord Nelson 4-6-0.

In terms of loco's alone, I think you'll find that makes the LNER a poor relation, and even worse when it come to coaching stock although hopefully some scale Gresleys (at last) will improve that and add to the fairly reasonable Bachmann models of the Thompson post-war stock.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Bevan Price" wrote

I'd prefer accurate models every time. If Hornby can produce a Black 5 with two different wheel bases, more than one 0-4-4T chassis shouldn't be out of the question. Now a G5 - but would it sell well enough?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"John Sullivan" wrote

Indeed see:-

John.

Reply to
John Turner

That was the point I was (trying) to make, if Bachmann can / enter / the market and produce LNER loco's that sell why shouldn't Hornby do the same sort of 'gap filling' with Southern loco's ? Not that long ago you would have been laughed at for suggesting someone should produce another LNER

4-6-2 let alone either a 4-6-0 or 2-6-0....

What is lacking in the ex LNER loco stud available in the RTR market is a big tank that served in areas other than the north east or Scotland, anyone fancy producing an L1 2-6-4 ?.... PLEASE !

Reply to
Jerry.

Some of the ex-Caley 0-4-4 tanks survived into BR ownership didnt they?

Reply to
John Ruddy

Triang moved to tender drive because of customer pressure, go back and read the mags from those days, every reveiw criticised the drive and contrasted it with the supposedly much better drives in the Continental H0 locos, especially Fleischmann, that were tender drive.

Ironic that this customer pressure is noow in the opposite direction. Keith Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

I'm surprised that 'Cooper Craft' have not developed their range of Mk 1 coach kits into SR standard EMU stock in the light of Bachmann's Mk 1's coming on the market....

Perhaps no one has suggested it to them ?...... :~)

Reply to
Jerry.

All the Hornby Dublo ringfields were loco mounted, totally filling the cab, the Castle and 8F were better with the original pre-ringfield motors. Keith

Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

The days of 'generic' chassis are gone, Hornby are now prepared to do the black 5 with both long and short wheelbase and that's only one class. The market now demands accuracy.

Keith Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

I guess that's due to improvements in technology, including the availability of compact 5-pole motors.

I had trouble with 2 of my tender-drive locos, a Black 5 and an A1, running jerkily. After cleaning the track, wheels, wheel bearings and commutator, the problem persisted. Attaching a thin jumper wire between the loco chassis and the tender link restored smooth running.

Reply to
MartinS

South of the Thames is a BIG place it goes from Kent to Cornwall :o)) All the best Steve.

Reply to
The Parkys

In article , Keith Norgrove writes

In years gone by, whenever magazines ran a "what OO -r-t-r loco would you like?", there was one loco always in the top five. The Drummond Greyhound (T9). What do you think, folks, 'cos there is one in preservation being assessed for a return to steam.

Reply to
John Bishop

Took the words right out of my keyboard, John. A handsome looking loco. whatever your regional taste.

Reply to
GLANVILLE CARLETON

"MartinS" wrote

Compact 5-pole motors have been around for donkey's years, Hornby only considered them at all when the competition from Bachmann forced them to produce something which actually worked reliably.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

South of the Thames is a BIG place it goes from Kent to Cornwall :o)) All the best Steve.

Reply to
The Parkys

And with so many variations, there would be an oppotunity for multiple sales.

Reply to
John Ruddy

Seconded (although I thought the V1/V3 appeared in small numbers in East Anglia, and Stratford early on - ?). While I'd agree more widely-spread models have better long-term prospects for region-specific purchases, livery choices, price and "it looks nice" must be a factor. I suppose "sold to industrial use" might allow for sales excuses for Terriers and Caledonian Pugs.

Mark.

Reply to
Mark Dickerson

"Mark Dickerson" wrote

That certainly would be a consideration. On the strength of industrial use I could just about justify a LSWR B4 0-4-0T on my layout based in the West Riding of Yorkshire. A B4 was moved to Criggleston during WW2 and lingered on there into the 1950s I believe. And a pretty little thing too.

Would I buy one? Maybe!

How many? Possibly one!

John.

Reply to