New Layout

I assume that a "scissors" crossing is the same as a "diamond" crossing? Peco 83 =3D SL-8364 ( seems to be the same number for insu and electro). Or-- are you talking about that great collection of points and a 30=B0 crossing all built into that 1/2 metre of pointwork?

Reply to
Sailor

Sailor wrote: [...]

It's what I prefer to call a double crossover - from right to left and=20 left to right (from whichever end you look at it.) IOW, two crossovers=20 in opposite directions superimposed on each other. In 16.5mm gauge a #8=20 double crossover would take up about 2ft. But two single crossovers end=20 to end would take up about 4ft.

A #8 turnout has an effective radius of 110", according to John=20 Armstrong's "Track Planning for Realistic Operation". Closure rail=20 (between straight points and straight frog) has a radius of 67". Curved=20 frogs were rarely used over here.

I would call a "diamond crossing" a place where two tracks cross. A=20 scissors/double crossover thus includes a diamond crossing.

cheers, wolf k.

Reply to
Wolf K

Perhaps, but the correct term for this is a scissors crossing.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

Ah, yes, in the UK. ;-)

cheers, wolf k.

Reply to
Wolf K

I bought one of the Shinohara jobs, to save me half a lifetime of razor sawing and swearing. IMO it's not as well made as the Peco turnouts I usually buy and of course it lacks a self-centring mechanism. The box gives the impression of having been in a cupboard for 20 years (which it probably has, the price and level of demand combined with the unusual brand are unlikely to make this a no. 1 hot seller). It is essentially electrofrog, which is not a problem, and the checkrails look a tad clumsy, they are sections of standard rail, not even ground flat on the running rail side.

It seems to be serviceable, though. I would not pay the premium for Shinohara over Peco for slips, based on this example. Others' opinions of Shinohara would be welcome, of course.

I'll take some pictures when I get a minute and some decent light. Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

My main station needs a scissor crossover on a gentle curve with double slips on the station end. (to provide headshunts) I've laid it out in Peco Code 75 on the baseboard so I know it's do-able, but meanwhile there are temporary through tracks and a single turnout for the yard throat. It's been that way since about 2002. I'm probably safe from Peco bringing out a pre-made one when I finish it, but I'm still suffering from procrastination and a long list of other shorter and more immediately satisfying projects.

They are largely hand-made.

Some prototype check rails are made of standard rail.The first time I saw Peco turnouts I thought the representation of rail made check-rails was poor!

Reply to
Greg.Procter