OT - Hull needs help

"Jane Sullivan" wrote

Indeed, but the Shitty (sorry City) Council have recently sold their remaining shares in Kingston Communications, and whilst it currently remains independent of BT (much to the chagrin of many locals) its future is somewhat unclear.
John.

Have they got rid of those phones that take threepenny bits yet?
--
Martin S.

"MartinS" wrote

Didn't know they ever had them, but then I was raised in a land where the GPO ran the phones and where four old pennies (4d) from memory were needed to make a call in a red box with buttons A & B.
John.
On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 12:38:54 +0100, "John Turner"

In my home town, there was no dialing - all calls were via an operator. She (normally) would identify the coins put in by the sound of the bells hit by the coins. IIRC, there were three coin slots for pennies, sixpences (I think) and shillings (I think). There was a different pitched bell under each slot.
Also it was one of the first exchanges to go STD - so straight from the earliest form of exchange to the latest all singing, dancing version ;-)
Jim.
"Jane Sullivan" wrote

The real disaster was that Hull wasn't washed away completely, but that would have taken my shop too!
Ah well at least my customers who were flooded starting buying replacement trains as soon as their benefit cheques arrived - the flat screen tellies came a couple of days later.
The floods also missed the despised Big TV Screen in City Square - shame! ;-)
John.

What brought that on? Surely Doncaster is better qualified or even the professional beggars / whiners of Cardydd.
"Sailor" wrote

Oh I don't know Peter, there's been an absolute flood of whingers in Hull; even the local Council are today complaining they were not insured for most of the damage.
PS - there's an 'e' in Caerdydd.
John.
"Peter Abraham" wrote

LOL , but if you don't speak Welsh why not use 'Cardiff' instead of a half-hearted 'Cardydd'?
What's superior about Bristol? I'd have said both it and Cardiff were both places to avoid unless the only alternative was Hull!!!! :-)
John.
John Turner wrote:

Hey! We'll have no rude words about Bristol! Some of my ancestors came from there.
So there.
--
Wolf
'Just because it's true doesn't mean it's the right answer.'
Wolf wrote:

I've always been big on bristols!
"Greg Procter" wrote

Me too, every man should have at least two to play with.
John.

What, like this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gynecomastia
--
Jane
British OO, American and Australian HO, and DCC in the garden

Nah, they have to be the milk-bearing type! ;-)
John.
John Turner said the following on 18/07/2007 14:33:

Read it again, carefully ;-)
--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk /

but, as it says on the page
... which can sometimes cause secretion of milk.

--
Jane
British OO, American and Australian HO, and DCC in the garden
Jane Sullivan wrote:

Bristol Freighters - we had a collection of them here in NZ. They were a part of the railways system and moved freight in/on special containers across Cook Strait. I think they were rejects from UK-France cross Channel services and they really were not robust enough for NZ conditions.
Regards, Greg.P. NZ
writes

What, the sheep kept licking the paint off them?
(kim)
kim wrote:

LOL. no, the wing structure wasn't sufficiently robust for the conditions.
writes

I presume you've heard about the New Zealand farmer who visited the Earls Court Motor Show in the 1950's? He was at the Rolls-Royce display stand and enquired about buying a vehicle. The salesman pointed out that they were really quite expensive. The New Zealander retorted that he'd made a fortune from the sheep business and could easily afford it. He went on to ask if he could have the model with the glass screen between the driver and the passenger compartment. "Is that because you intend to use a chauffeur sir?", he said. "No, it's to stop the ruddy sheep licking the back of me neck!"
(kim)
kim wrote:

Hmmm, I don't think that is a joke! We (well they, I wasn't around then) paid of our war debt to the USa in 1948 and could buy whatever we wanted so long as it was British sourced until the early-mid 1960s. It's been all downhill since then.
Greg.P.