OT - Hull needs help

Please help the forgotten victims of flooding Please help with this major disaster

Epicentre: Hull , England

News of the disaster was swiftly carried abroad by the town's 35,000 racing pigeons, as victims were seen wandering around aimlessly muttering "fookinhell" and "chuffinnorah".

The flood decimated the town, causing GBP30 worth of damage. Several priceless collections of mementos from the Balearic Isles and the Spanish Costa's were damaged beyond repair. Three areas of historical burnt out cars were disturbed.

Many locals were woken well before their Giro arrived. Radio Humberside reported that hundreds of residents were confused and bewildered, still trying to come to terms with the fact that something interesting had happened in Hull. One resident, 15 year old mother of 3, Tracy Sharon Braithwaite said: "It was such a shock, my little Chardonnay-Madonna came running into my bedroom crying. The twins, Tyler-Morgan and Megan- Storm slept through it all. I was still shaking when I was watching Jeremy Kyle the next morning". Locals were determined not to be bowed, as looting, muggings and car crime carried on as normal.

So far, whilst the British Red Cross has managed to ship 4000 crates of Sunny Delight to the area to relieve the suffering of stricken locals, rescue workers searching through the rubble have found large quantities of personal belongings including, benefit books, jewellery from Elizabeth Duke at Argos, and bone china from Pound-stretcher.

Can You Help?

Please respond generously to our appeal for food and clothing for the victims of this disaster.

Clothing is needed most of all, especially:

· Fila or Burberry baseball caps · Kappa tracksuit tops (his or hers) · Shell suits (female) · White sports socks · Rockport boots or any other product sold in Primark

Culturally sensitive food parcels are harder to put together, but your efforts will make a difference.

Microwave meals, tinned baked beans, ice-cream and cans of Colt 45 or Special Brew are ideal.

Please do not give anything that requires peeling.

Remember:

· 22p buys a biro for filling in compensation claims · GBP2 buys chips, crisps and a blue fizzy drink for a family of 9 · GBP5 will pay for a packet of B&H and a lighter to calm a child's nerves

Urgently required: Tinned whippet food. Bones for Jack Russells

Please do not send tents for shelter. The sight of such posh housing will cause residents to believe they have been forcibly relocated to Beverley or one of the 'West Hull Villages'.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

For a start the local mp could offer up some accomodation, now who would he be. I had to laugh following the Carlisle floods in early 2005. I survived the tsunami then following the floods in Carlisle you had headlines such as "a fence was washed away". I could think of 300,000 people plus who would have wished the least of their problems was the garden fence washing away.

Kevin

Reply to
zen83237

On 16/07/2007 21:43, zen83237 said,

Does kind of put it into perspective, doesn't it?

Reply to
Paul Boyd

"Jane Sullivan" wrote

The real disaster was that Hull wasn't washed away completely, but that would have taken my shop too!

Ah well at least my customers who were flooded starting buying replacement trains as soon as their benefit cheques arrived - the flat screen tellies came a couple of days later.

The floods also missed the despised Big TV Screen in City Square - shame! ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

garden

What brought that on? Surely Doncaster is better qualified or even the professional beggars / whiners of Cardydd.

Reply to
Sailor

"Sailor" wrote

Oh I don't know Peter, there's been an absolute flood of whingers in Hull; even the local Council are today complaining they were not insured for most of the damage.

PS - there's an 'e' in Caerdydd.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

A similar number of people were affected by floods in the former British colony of Guyana and it went virtually unreported here.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

They should have thought of that when they kicked the Dutch out in 1948. Independence they wanted, independence they got.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

gerrraway, Carlisle was never dutch.............

Reply to
estarriol

Except between 1689 and 1702.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Indonesia

(kim)

Reply to
kim

What? Hull?

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Though presumably not Anlaby, which got a bit soggy.

It's taken longer than I thought for this message to be re-hashed for Hull. Maybe the city has too few literate people left :-)

A city landmark is the big and shiny statue of King Billy, a Dutchman. "Our great deliverer" (from Catholicism etc) William III now stands guard over a public toilet.`

Arthur Figgis

Here in New Zealand's Northland we're (hopefully) at the end of our second 120 year flood in three months - we were down to only 50mm of rain in the last 24 hours. It's only affected 150,000 people so I guess it's not newsworth.

Greg.P. NZ.

Reply to
Greg Procter

In message , beamendsltd writes

Well, Hull was independent of British Telecom.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

Dunno, as it affected the entire population it should be worth a mention.

cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

You're forgetting the eight million sheep :o)

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"Peter Abraham" wrote

LOL , but if you don't speak Welsh why not use 'Cardiff' instead of a half-hearted 'Cardydd'?

What's superior about Bristol? I'd have said both it and Cardiff were both places to avoid unless the only alternative was Hull!!!! :-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Arthur Figgis" wrote

a) either flooded or b) closed

that's the way of things in 'ull.

It could be claimed it was standing guard over the King Billy pub!

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Jane Sullivan" wrote

Indeed, but the Shitty (sorry City) Council have recently sold their remaining shares in Kingston Communications, and whilst it currently remains independent of BT (much to the chagrin of many locals) its future is somewhat unclear.

John.

Reply to
John Turner