OT - Hull needs help

Dunno about fairest, by Temple Meads train crew room was the least friendly, and the most sparse (probably connected?).

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

The old man did to - the 4.5in spud gun was a particular favourite. He's not eaten herring since, though!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

"Jane Sullivan" wrote

Nah, they have to be the milk-bearing type! ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

John Turner said the following on 18/07/2007 14:33:

Read it again, carefully ;-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

In message , John Turner writes

but, as it says on the page

... which can sometimes cause secretion of milk.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

I noticed this on Google news today:

RAILWAY chiefs were urged today to end the confusion facing passengers at Cardiff and other stations when announcements are made in Welsh.

Instead they were told by Welsh MPs that while they backed bilingual announcements, they should be made in English first if that was the language used by most of the local people.

Rhondda MP Chris Bryant headed a demand, backed by four former Welsh ministers, for the railway authorities to reconsider the policy of making announcements first in Welsh then in English throughout Wales.

?If you stand at Cardiff Station and a lengthy announcement about a platform change is made first in Welsh then there is a risk by the time that it is repeated in English that the train you want has come and gone,? Mr Bryant said. [More at

]

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

Bristol Freighters - we had a collection of them here in NZ. They were a part of the railways system and moved freight in/on special containers across Cook Strait. I think they were rejects from UK-France cross Channel services and they really were not robust enough for NZ conditions.

Regards, Greg.P. NZ

Reply to
Greg Procter

What, the sheep kept licking the paint off them?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

LOL. no, the wing structure wasn't sufficiently robust for the conditions.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Apparently it was changed to Bristol in the mid 16th century.

Reply to
MartinS

I presume you've heard about the New Zealand farmer who visited the Earls Court Motor Show in the 1950's? He was at the Rolls-Royce display stand and enquired about buying a vehicle. The salesman pointed out that they were really quite expensive. The New Zealander retorted that he'd made a fortune from the sheep business and could easily afford it. He went on to ask if he could have the model with the glass screen between the driver and the passenger compartment. "Is that because you intend to use a chauffeur sir?", he said. "No, it's to stop the ruddy sheep licking the back of me neck!"

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Quite recent then - is it temporary or permanent?

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Hmmm, I don't think that is a joke! We (well they, I wasn't around then) paid of our war debt to the USa in

1948 and could buy whatever we wanted so long as it was British sourced until the early-mid 1960s. It's been all downhill since then.

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

You mean Bristolians have been mispronouncing the King's/Queen's English for centuries?

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

Jane Sullivan said the following on 19/07/2007 07:42:

If you've heard the broad Bristol accent you'll know they have ;-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

It's called Crec' Brisol - there is/was a book.

One of the golden rules is that anything ending with an O or an O followed by any other letter is always pronounced "..OL" - giving Volvo = Volvol etc.

Like Peak District etc dialects, it's only realy used when tourists are about (often undertaking a financial transactions) or a tricky verbal report is being made.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

beamendsltd said the following on 19/07/2007 10:00:

Ever worked in South Bristol? I had to learn a new language when I did for a while!!

Reply to
Paul Boyd

'crec brisol was a load of crap.

Bristol was pronounced as Bristhall not bristle or any other such derivitive.

Robinson was clueless. Most of my thesp friends admit that it is not possible to copy it. (who would want to?)

The only place that I have heard the English of my childhood spoken was in New England. The West Indian / Indian / Polish/ ? version of today is difficult to understand even by myself on my very infrequent visits.

Reply to
Peter Abraham

That's the whole point of "Patoir". They're discussing drugs or some other illegal activity so would rather non drug-users in the vicinity didn't understand what they're saying, innit tho?

(kim)

Reply to
kim