railfest 2004

slightly off topic, aplogies

just got back from railfest 2004 at york, it's excellent!

there's too much to see but today me and my son rode behind Prince, City of Truro and a Rocket replica besides about 5 minature railways

about 15 mainline engines in steam, about 30 (steam, diesil and electric) with cabs open to view

all for £11 for the pair of us

i highly recommend it.

Reply to
old git

Totally agree - the best railway event I've been to in many a year...

Although to young to remember steam on BR (I'm more into MI) the sight and smell of the B12, K3, O2 and 9F all in BR Black, parked together and in steam was really something else...

If you're remotely unsure about making the trip to York, you won't be disappointed (see my next post above).

Adam Warr

Reply to
Adam Warr

As an addition for those thinking of going, we went by rail and I must congratulate virgin railways on the service.

the train was spotless, quiet,automatically reserved seats, on time (both ways), good service from staff, free radio to headphones, dedicated exit from the station to the museum

and all for £18 each return birmingham to york, cheaper than the petrol/parking would have been

makes you want to give up the car

Reply to
old git

Sounds excellent. Pity I can't make it to York, due to Work commitments. Especially as I was hoping to see the Green Arrow once more - as my Grandfather used to drive it.

David.

Reply to
David F.

No sign of Green Arrow I'm afraid - IIRC it was removed from the NRM by road recently.

--

***
*** Updating regularly throughout 2004 Rich Mackin (rich-at-richmackin-co-uk)

I think Green Arrow may be going to Bressingham in exchange for Oliver=20 Cromwell. Moggie.minor

Reply to
John W.Robertson

commitments.

I think Green Arrow may be going to Bressingham in exchange for Oliver Cromwell. Moggie.minor

Reply to
Duncan Langtree

Que? I visited The Works, no sign of Green Arrow in there either.

--

***
*** Updating regularly throughout 2004 Rich Mackin (rich-at-richmackin-co-uk)
Reply to
Rich Mackin

Green Arrow was there in April when I visited minus cab and having firebox work done to get it ready for running this summer I was told

there is a picture on my fotoptics site in the York NRM collection

-- Regards Gray

Pictures at

OMWB bespoke cupboard doors for my library

I think Green Arrow may be going to Bressingham in exchange for Oliver Cromwell. Moggie.minor

Reply to
Graham

It was still in a stripped down state on the 24th May, I'll check tomorrow when I'm visting the museum! Cheers Duncan

Reply to
Duncan Langtree