Re: An apology :-)

Since when has getting facts right been a feature of newsgroup posting ;)

Chris

Reply to
Chris

" It helps if you get your facts right. The mother of one of the tots friend -

Sorry Simon but Pobodies Nerfect :-)

Chris, Bob, Clarence, Toby, Bill, George, Frank .............. errrrrr who am I again ?

Reply to
chris.brett58

Oh yes she is, in fact she has minor imperfections that make her human and approachable and so perfect.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

May I make a suggestion ? ..... you cut down on your red meat :-)

Talking of perfectionism try :-

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure !

Chris

It's not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of fight in the dog.

"I don't believe in trolls" "I don't believe in trolls" "I don't believe in trolls" "I don't believe in trolls" "I don't believe in trolls" "I don't believe in trolls" "I don't believe in trolls" "I don't believe in trolls" "I don't believe in trolls" "I don't believe in trolls" "I don't believe in trolls"

Reply to
chris.brett58

Certainly not, must be ready for mistress right.

"I don't believe in trolls"

I believe in Father Christmas

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Lets just deviate into the realms of "what-if?" for a moment.

Are there any age rules for this group? I dont know of any. Calling people who do not use your choice of software 'w@nkers' might be ok if you actually knew who you were corresponding with, but how do you know they are not a 10 year old prospective modeller who has been allowed on his/her parents computer to search for advice, searched on Google and found this group?

Maybe the abusive pedants on here are so convinced of their own unassailable superiority that they dont care, but I wonder how many youngsters have been put off railway modelling for life once they discover the obnoxious responses they might get for making such an 'earth shattering' mistake as calling a locomotive chimney a funnel?

Nice one.

Reply to
sutartsorric

: Are there any age rules for this group? I dont know : of any. Calling people who do not use your choice of : software 'w@nkers' might be ok if you actually knew : who you were corresponding with, but how do you : know they are not a 10 year old prospective modeller : who has been allowed on his/her parents computer to : search for advice, searched on Google and found this : group?

Hmm, me thinks that they hear a lot worse in the playground these days, also 10 year old kids should not be allowed to use Usenet, there are far worse things on Usenet than a couple of worlds that most kids will have heard used if they haven't used them themselves. Actually most kids that age would use Google to search out (moderated) web forums I suspect, many probably don't even know of Usenet or Google groups.

In fact, IMO kids that young (junior school and younger) shouldn't even be allowed to use the internet for researching (school work or otherwise), no rime or reason for them to do so, they should be learning how to use books, the library and the like, the sub thread about horizontally opposed engines goes to show that the internet is full of *incorrect* information.

Reply to
Jerry

I couldn't agree with you more. Unfortunately the whole of usenet is infested with geeks who feel it is their right to abuse anyone who does not conform to their "standards". I would not allow any child onto an internet connected computer unsupervised because of this. I often get abuse because I use AOL and Google groups.......oh it cuts me to the quick! :-)

George

Reply to
furnessvale

: I often get abuse because I use AOL and Google groups

Quite right too, if you knew anything about AOL, Google groups and the abuse *OF* Usenet you would understand. IME the people who think that they can say and do anything on Usenet are either customers of AOL and/or Google - most other people have to abide by their nntp hosts AUP and answer for their own abuse by having to find a new nntp server!

It was a great day when AOL announced that they would be shutting down their nntp servers, it was a bad day when they then suggested that their customers should post to Usenet via Google groups. :~(

Reply to
Jerry

Q.E.D.

Reply to
furnessvale

: Q.E.D.

Indeed, it does explain why so many people who post to Usenet have so little time for either 'AOLers' or 'Google groupies' these days.

Reply to
Jerry

.

You seem to have plenty of time for us ;-)

You spend enough time berating us, why not apply yourself to something more constructive?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

: You seem to have plenty of time for us ;-) : : You spend enough time berating us, why not apply : yourself to something more constructive?

The same could be said about you, again you are the pot trying to call the kettle black...

Reply to
Jerry

Agree with jerry on both. Gave up trying to get tot to never swear and am trying to get him to consider the context - who is around etc. Tot trumps, daddy farts and theres a rare wiffy perspire which may or may not emant from her ladyship - but we dont discuss that.

For primary and early junior school kids computers are just an interesting skill not an essential subject. Good idea to introduce them to some games and the BBC website but thats all they need. Any lower school that boasts a 'computer suite' appears a bit off topic to me.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Some stuff snipped cos cant be bothered to manually format it so its shown as from an earlier post ....

Few things rile me nowadays, but 2 that come close are political correctness gone mad and people that claim they are offended on behalf of other people that may be offended.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Are we allowed to use the term "political correctness" these days?

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg.Procter

If using either a 'mixture of all colours' board or a 'no light reflecting' board then issue an apologetic disclaimer in advance.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

I hereby give notice that I intend to take offence on behalf of all red, green and brown individuals and will notify said offence to those yellow people I know who wish to retain their PC standing!

Reply to
Greg.Procter

Not quite what had in mind. Disclaimer is to apologise before you make a statement that with some imagination could be mis-construed as non PC.

For example :- I would like to apologise in advance should the following article contain any words, phrases or implications that since time immorial have been used within a page, article or song at the same time as a word, phrase or comment that may have offended the reader or any person that could think of any way in which any other person or group of persons (especially a minority) may be offended (otherwise known as offended by proxy). There is no requirement to prove an offence has occured and all possibilities including those of a similar frequency to 'when hell freezes over' are accepted. Note this disclaimer should be considered recursive ie self referering or disappearing up its own jacksy should such a position become necessary. Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 21:44:01 -0000, "simon" said in :

Not really. It is to disclaim responsibility for the consequences of your actions words.

Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?