Re: An apology :-)

" Are there any age rules for this group? I dont know of any. Calling people who do not use your choice of software 'w@nkers' might be ok if you actually knew who you were corresponding with, but how do you know they are not a 10 year old prospective modeller who has been allowed on his/her parents computer to search for advice, searched on Google and found this group ? "

Jerry's reply

" Hmm, me thinks that they hear a lot worse in the playground these days, also 10 year old kids should not be allowed to use Usenet, there are far worse things on Usenet than a couple of worlds that most kids will have heard used if they haven't used them themselves. Actually most kids that age would use Google to search out (moderated) web forums I suspect, many probably don't even know of Usenet or Google groups. "

Sorry 'Jerry' but you're about 15 to 20 years out of touch with the 10 year olds of today !

YES ! but it still does not make it right does it ? People complain about 'falling standards' but are not prepared to do ANYTHING about it and even contribute to those falling standards.

If we are to believe the papers even the Queen swears but would you swear at her ?

Whilst some people may swear verbally they rarely do so in writing and then normally only when they have nothing further constructive to say.

" In fact, IMO kids that young (junior school and younger) shouldn't even be allowed to use the internet for researching(school work or otherwise), no rime or reason for them to do so, they should be learning how to use books, the library and the like, the sub thread about horizontally opposed engines goes to show that the internet is full of *incorrect* information. "

" ...... kids that young (junior school and younger) shouldn't even be allowed to use the Internet for researching ......... " What year is this ?

Reference books that are years out of date ! What's the point ?

Our local library has it's own public use PC's for access to the Internet.

YES ! the internet is full of 'incorrect' information .... so why add to it ?

Chris

It's not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of fight in the dog.

Reply to
chris.brett58

" most other people have to abide by their nntp hosts AUP and answer for their own abuse by having to find a new nntp server! " Your's must be VERY lax then !

Talking of lax ...... are you drip fed ex lax Jerry ?

=93 .... Books might be out of date but they are rarely wrong, the facts within are still correct even if they are not up to date - a subtle difference .... =93 WHAT !

Please pay attention Jerry when I am insulting you !

=91Out or date =92ie =91Too old to be used, past the point of expiration=92 A lot like you Jerry !

I know of some good books you could read Jerry :-

=91101 places to play marbles=92 Which includes places like The Expressway centre lane & Pamplona during the bull run. Oh sorry, I forgot, you=92ve lost your marbles.

=9110 best minefield walks=92

=91The Billy Goats Gruff=92 ....... though I expect you would not like the ending (but the others on this and other groups would ).

Chris

It's not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of fight in the dog.

Reply to
chris.brett58

Nymph shifting again I see Chris, do you have to spend long each day deciding to be "Dragon Heart" or "Chris Bett58", and don't try blaming Google groups...

Reply to
Jerry

Google Groups ....... you bad mouth them & the people use them yet claim never to have used them or are you also a liar as well as a TROLL ?

You clearly have NEVER heard of 'user profiles' and 'Internet nicknames' yet you claim to be some sort of expert ..... we all know what you are expert at, being a uneducated, boring, repetitive, foul mouthed, self opinionated, coccydynia TROLL !

:-)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Have a nice day !

Chris

It's not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of fight in the dog.

Sorry, mail to Jerry's address goes unread ..... it goes in one ear and out the other ..... nothing to stop it !

Reply to
chris.brett58

The message

from snipped-for-privacy@o2.co.uk contains these words:

Sorry to butt in - what is a "user profile", please. If it's a googlegroups thing I probably don't need to know about it, but after 13 years on Usenet I'm beginning to feel left out...

Reply to
David Jackson

It is a google thing.

Even though you're not a google subscriber they have kindly set up a profile for you. They imagine they own the on-line community and much of their searching etc is driven by user ratings - of people who don't even use google.

Which is IMO wrong.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

The message from Christopher A. Lee contains these words:

Thanks. I won't bother searching further, in that case, until such time as I find the need. I suppose one can edit out all the inaccuracies which have built up over the time google has been around.

They imagine they own the on-line community and much

It is. I rarely use google for searches - Ixquick is more selective, and allegedly doesn't record your address. Allegedly. [I'm not paranoid, I just *know* they're out to get me.]

Reply to
David Jackson

Sorry Dave .... yes 'user profiles' is sort of a Google Group thing, but many other forums use them, bit of a gimmick I suspect for the 'masses' !

" They imagine they own the on-line community ....... " I fear that's their intention.

Yes as much of their searching is driven by user ratings one can end up with pages of Wikipedia results etc.

I am surprised Google Users are not called 'Googlies' :-)