Recommendation please

After several decades away, I'm getting to the point where I will have the time and space to return to modelling. As I will be starting from scratch (in terms of the layout), DCC looks like it is worth investigating. To that end, are there any good books I can get to read up on the subject, both for controlling locos (and fitting the existing ones with chips), and for the points.

Thanks in advance

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

DCC Made Easy: Digital Command Control for Your Model Railroad by Lionel Strang

Aspects of Modelling: Digital Control Command by Ian Morton

I think PECO also do a couple of booklets on the subject.

Hornby have a range of fitting instructions available on their website.

Chris

Reply to
chris.brett58

In message , snipped-for-privacy@o2.co.uk writes

Thanks

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

I suggest you also check out some of the other forums too eg

Chris

Reply to
chris.brett58

Thanks, I'll have a look when I've got half an hour.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

I would stick with the internet. I've yet to find a book that is both up to date and comprehensive in it's coverage of what is out there.

If you are at all electronically minded then consider MERG. Their DCC pages

are open to non-members with designs for various DCC modules. Membership gets you access to the Yahho group and Forum and the Newsletter. Lso look at CBUS
, (also applicable to DC) for accessory control and layout feedback.

What scale/gauge/period will you model?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

In message , Man at B&Q writes

I'll look them up as well thanks.

I acquired a varied collection of 00, ranging from GWR livery through to BR Green diesel, so I'll be fitting in there somewhere.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

So, plenty of room for decoders, compared to N at least, maybe even sound.

Virtually anything can be chipped, if you are prepared to put in enough effort. Features such as "dither" and back EMF control in decoders can mitigate some short comings, but you should really make sure everything runs reliably/smoothly on DC. A rolling road can be a useful investment and can be used in place of a programming/test track once you start fitting decoders.

It sounds like you'll be hardwiring a lot of decoders. Whilst you've got the body off (and maybe half the chassis dismantled in some cases, LOL!) it's well worth adding extra pickups wherever possible, especially on short wheelbase locos.

If your DCC hardware supports a computer connection, consider something like DecoderPro (free software) tp make decoder programming/ tweaking easy.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

I would recommend some caution on the MERG designs. Some are great and still current. Others strike me as antiquated, quite possibly excellent a dozen years ago, but overtaken by event elsewhere. For example I would advise against building the DCC control system, but recommend the DCC accessory decoders.

- Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

Of the Forums, I think RMWeb has the biggest number of DCC contributors who seem to know their stuff.

With any Forum, before asking a question, try using the search box. Chances are that many questions have been answered before.

- Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

Since everything has been in store for at least 8 years, my intention is to start off with a simple test track wired up with DC to make sure that everything works (could help with trouble shooting !), and then look at converting to DCC.

I'll bear that in mind, there is at least one GWR pannier tank in the collection.

As yet I don't have any DCC hardware (the reason for this thread is to do some background research before I start spending).

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Nigel Cliffe writes

Thanks, I'll bear it in mind.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

I prefer Model Rail Forum for the level of knowledge/understanding. I've seen some really stupid things said in the RMWeb DCC forum, probably more about the electronics side rather than DCC itself.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q