Rough road ahead for Hornby?

From: "Jane Sullivan" Subject: Re: OT, was Re: Rough road ahead for Hornby?

I'd have thought that was self-explanatory, plus a flood-plain isn't necessarily always wet.

Kingston-upon-Hull is built on a flood-plain, although these days with some degree of protection against the Humber or the Rover Hull overflowing their banks. Of course such defences can also restrict excessive rain water escaping into those same rivers. Some might suggest that was part of the problem with the City's flooding problems in July 2008.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

And there are water meadows. When we lived in Tewkesbury in the 1990s Safeways built one of their new stores on a water meadow and expressed shock and horror when the meadow flooded the following year; I don't think Safeways believed the locals when they told them that a water meadow was supposed to flood at least once a year. And the Borough Council approved the new store without apparently giving much thought to the flooding issue.

Reply to
Bruce Fletcher (remove dentures to reply)

That's what I call floating a venture...

Reply to
MartinS

Maybe there are different types of Water meadow but for many it was not the idea to flood them Paddy field like. The water was allowed to flow over them in a controlled manner through a system of sluices and ditches. If these were not operated then the field would not get irrigated the time interval being down to the negotiations between the Landowners, the amount of water available and the person who worked the sluices who around here was known by the delightful title of the Drowner. The Water would not be like a deep flood but a small flow over the surface. The principle being to extend the grass growing season. The trickling water warmed the ground and removed frost but was shallow enough to allow the sun to warm the ground and promote grass growth.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Why munge Strategic Reserve? Hundreds of Land Rovers and other military equipment, quite happily advertised by the MOD's agents as being from the the Statregic Reserve (aka "War Stock"), have been sold off in recent years.

A google revealed:

- not quite what was expected!

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamends

I assume he is referring to a running joke over on uk.railway about a Str***g*c R****v* of steam locomotives saved from scrapping for use if a nuclear war were to render desiel or electric locos useless (amongst other reasons). For some reason, "Str***g*c R****v*" is always munged in this context, and has been IIRC since before I started reading that group. (Cross-posted to uk.railway to see if any of the older and wiser readers remember why)

/pets sigmonster

Reply to
Philip

Sounds like Ankh Morpork

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Sorry, you are right. I had forgotten that there must have been another Melbourne for Lord Melbourne (after whom the city was named) to have taken that as his title.

Reply to
Philip

"Philip" wrote in

For goodness sake man - it's because it's Top Secret.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

You might as well munge Weapons of Mass Destruction, Echelon and Menwith Hill.

Excuse me, there's someone at the door.

Reply to
MartinS

As noted in the noted at the end of one of Terry Pratchet's books, that is where the inspiration came from - though he claims it is fact matching fiction ;-)

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamends

Ah right, that'll be the UK government version of Top Secret, as in our tax records etc ;-)

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamends

I see it coming. Laptop found on train containing details of Str***gic R***rve, including complete fleet list, track plans etc. Also featuring planned HSL via W**dhead Tunnel and Middlesb*****.

Reply to
amogles

Thats ok, it was a bit of a trap - but not deliberatte. I've often visited Melbourne, Derbys including the Hall but wasnt aware of the Military connection until recently. Thats despite parents remarking on the presence of US soldiers during WW2 in Ashby and there arent any Army bases around here.

But was a serious question if anyone knows of any books on the topic, first reference and only have found was in a Bylines mag.

Cheers, Simon

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Oh yes it was :-)

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Or the underground HSL from the UFO research centre at Rudloe Manor direct to London.

-- gordon

Reply to
tshanazt

Can't be - that's where the UFO's are stored. Oh no, the MIB are here again...

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamends

Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Philip gently breathed:

It's because the first rule of the Str***g*c R****v* is that you do not talk about the Str***g*c R****v*.

Initiates learn this right away. Non-initiates are dealt with via strange experiments involving the tiolet systems of Class 22x V*****r units.

And of course because the myth that the Str***g*c R****v* is hidden in W**dh**d T****l is so deeply ingrained that we want to make sure no-one ever realises it's actually at kzskjfdhdslk.............

Reply to