Saw 2

A pretty basic question, but inspired by the other "saw" thread.

What is you preferred method of cutting 00 track?

I have always used a small hacksaw, then cleaned up the cut with a file, but I can't help but think that there ought to be a better and faster way that results in a clean cut rail end.

Is there a proprietary pair of cutters, something like wire insulation strippers that would make a clean cut, for example?

Reply to
Brian Watson

In message , Brian Watson writes

In my experience the cleanest and fastest cut comes from a slitting disk in a mini-drill. However, it is a bit of a pain in the bum having to get a mains lead to the bottom of the garden just so I can cut a bit of track.

I have a Xuron track cutter, but however I use that I end up having to file the cut rail to remove the burrs that occur.

Reply to
John Sullivan

The mini bolt cutter (£5 from Focus) I have is probably faster and doesn't need power. However you still need to file the end. The end isn't bad, but not quite clean enough to get rail joiners on.

Mark Thornton

Reply to
Mark Thornton

What we want is a mini angle grinder with slitting disc at a reasonable price next best is a flexible drive with disc

Reply to
Trev

Dremel (mini drill) with a cutting disk gets my vote ... but wear eye protection just in case.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

"Brian Watson" wrote

Xuron track cutter. Don't know how I lived without one of these wondrous and cheap pieces of gear. Cuts track clean enough not to need the cut ends filing and has so many other uses that I've several pairs kicking around and one pair never leaves my work bench.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Sounds good, and a SEARCH has produced several likely UK suppliers.

Thanks.

Reply to
Brian Watson

"Brian Watson"

Yup.

i used a hacksaw and found it a bit inaccurate.

Moved to one of those cutting disks in a dremel - better.

now bought one of those xuron shears (£12ish........)

clip.

:-)

ken

Reply to
Ken Wilson

A Dremel hand held drill with an abrasive cut off wheel makes a near perfect job. The only problems are the power cord and the slight angle of the cut when you're making in situ cuts.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

But then again ... with a mini drill unlike snips you can do those "in situ cuts" without any fear of bending the rail, pulling it out of its chairs, digging out any ballast ... and please no lectures on getting the wiring right the first time. ;-)

Reply to
Chris Wilson

You might well have a better range of mini-drills available where you live. I started with a little yank one - when it failed I broke it apart and found the bearings were the plastic shell. Next I bought a cheapy Hong Kong/Chinese one which lasted until just after I tossed out the receipt. I've had the Dremel for over 20 years - wished I'd bought the variable speed version. It won't wear out. Now I've bought the Proxon variable speed one. (local shop's sample - half price with drill press) Latest purchase is a Chinese copy of the Dremel rechargeable battery model at a price that would have been acceptable for the plastic carry case in 1984 - 117 assorted bits. My complaints:

- battery goes flat in around 5 minutes.

- only 114 slots for the 117 bits.

- the abrasive discs last about 4 minutes. (buy Dremel discs)

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

I've got a very small, cheap and nasty one also Chinese, bought around 25 years ago, never very powerful and truth be told the bearings are a bit shot still works though, never use it though for like you I have a Dremel ...

Ditto, however it was a present from my wife about 6 or 7 years ago, I don't think there were variable speed ones then ... that is, it has three speed settings selected by a switch but not "constantly variable" or however it's described ...

... one of the best presents she's ever bought me and very much recommended.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Sounds like it will be in your toolbox for a long time yet if you never use it!

Reply to
Gregory Procter

I have a cheap one from Maplin (it was on offer for £20 with an assortment of bits and an aluminium carry case). It's a bit noisy, but it has a speed control and does the job... The soft wire brush attachment cleans- up wheels a treat too...

I think Maplin have them on offer again now... Then again, a pair of the cutters recommended by John T sound like must-have...

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian