software recomendation

I am taking pics of interesting builidings in my area however i can not get far enough away ro get a decent image, can anyone sugest good software to scale and tilt an image?

guy

Reply to
guy

Photoshop. Pricey, though.

Reply to
Wolf

Not if you steal it! :o)

(kim)

Reply to
kim

I am not sure if your interpretation of "scale and tilt" of an image is the same as mine.

You say you are unable to get far enough away to get a 'decent image', I assume you mean a complete single photo of the whole building or at least an elevation ?

That being the case you could either get a wide angle lens or take more than one photo ( you will need a tripod ) and 'paste' them together like a panorama by using something like Ulead Cool 360 software.

Most basic photo manipulation software will allow you to tilt a photo clockwise or anticlockwise a few degrees but to rotate it around an axis is a little more tricky, it can be done but you can loose image quality and depth.

Chris

Reply to
Dragon Heart

That would be unethical. Any criminal psychologist knows that.

Reply to
MartinS

Guy,

I think 'The Gimp' will do what you want - and it's free :-)

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

... but Kim obviously doesn't. Therefore ...

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

The software that comes with any digital camera or scanner will scale images.

You may find you have problems with distortion at the edgess of the images, so it's not as simple as correcting for tilt. The wider the lens angle, the worse the effect.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Which is why I'm a Paint shop pro fan. but Most reasonable Photo Editors can do Perspective correction

Reply to
Trev

I've been using Paintshop Pro for 10 years, but I haven't upgraded since v7. There's a guy selling v8 on Ebay for about £3, which turns out to be a dodgy download but he claims it is completely legal and can be registered with JASC (the publisher before Corel took it over). Still Paintshop Pro is a cracking program and I'd be lost without it.

To the OP...

The Gimp is a GNU public licensed program and freeware. It certainly will do the stretching and perspective corretion you require. It looks (to me) a little intimidating, but it's not so bad when you get to grips with it.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Yes and no. A judge has ruled it is legal to "download" a cracked copy for personal use but illegal to copy, upload or distribute it to others in any way.

If the program file becomes corrupted for any reason you need a "repair key" as opposed to an "install key", otherwise the program suddenly realises it's a cracked copy and locks you out. Also if the program is 'cloned' to another hard drive it will expire after 30 days and require either a repair key or reinstallation..

(kim)

Reply to
kim

I didn't say anyone 'should' steal it. I just said it was a lot cheaper if they did.

I'm sure no-one in this newsgroup has a cracked copy of any software on their PC?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Which is why I used the word "steal" and not "download" or "copy" :o)

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Basically there are two problems, like you suggest I cannot got a whole building in one shot, Id prefer multiple pics due to the distortion with a wide angle lens. The main problem is the perspective thing, in some case my eye line is level with ground level of the building, and I am approx the buildings' height away from the building so that the top of the building is consderably farther away than the base. As I want to use these pics to create plans and textures I need a flat image to work from.

guy

Reply to
guy

Jane Sullivan wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@yddraiggoch.demon.co.uk:

... he's not a criminal psychologist?

Reply to
Chris Wilson

I didnt think so either, hard to tell but hes not really advocated a significant number of dodgy activities, so give the benefit of the doubt.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

guy wrote: [...]

So the image of the building will be narrower at the top. This is often called a "keystone" effect, and also shows up when you tilt a projector .

Photoshop and Paint Shop pro will both undo the keystone.

Reply to
Wolf

The software that comes with digital cameras is, in my experience, crap. I never install it.

Reply to
MartinS

Does he offer a money-back guarantee? I'm sure you can download the same dodgy version he is selling from Usenet at no charge.

Reply to
MartinS

Paint Shop Pro 8 is the cheapest programme I can think of that will definately do perspective correction like this, as that's what I use to do it. Always some on eBay and the like, but difficult to tell the genuine ones form the bootlegs :-/

Reply to
airsmoothed