Track cleaners

Anyone got ant recommendations for track cleaning devices? I've a problem with a piece of track in the back corner of my layout - the bit it's almost impossible to reach with a track rubber - so of course this is where the piece of track is that tarnishes the quickest.

lose the spamtrap to reply

Reply to
Ian Birchenough

There's a useful article at:

See
This is quite expensive, but good for large layouts with accessibility problems.

A popular product is Rail-Zip. A little on the track is spread around by a train (not one with traction tyres). Wipe with a damp cloth next day.

distibutor:
(scroll down) Also available in UK from
(click on Railways)

Reply to
MartinS

If it's only one section of track then why not attach a cleaning pad to a length of wood/a rod or something similar and clean by hand....??

Colin.

Reply to
Colin

Better not to wipe with a damp rag, just leave it then the effect of the rail-zip will last. When operation starts to become erratic again apply a few more drops. Wipe with a dry rag, or cork block about once a year and apply the rail-zip immediately after.

Keith

Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

"Keith Norgrove" <

Goodgrief yes. Don't, whatever you do, remove the Rail-Zip.

I don't even do that Keith. My poor model railway hasn't operated for about

8 months or more. This Christmas, because we were having guests who wanted to see the railway, I went into the room and did a big clean up. Vacuumed the floors, the layout (All the get-at-able trackage) and generally made the place presentable.

I then coupled together 3 or 4 diesels, spread about a six inch strip of Rail-Zip along a section of track, and ran the three units back and forth over about 1/3 of the layout. Into all the spurs (sidings), all the sidings (loops) and along the mainline (mainline). I then did the same thing in a couple of other places and Bingo! The GER was back up and running. I didn't even bother to clean any of the wheels on any of the locos, steam or diesel, and everything ran, and still does run, as smooth as silk.

-- Happy Holidays Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

I made a track cleaner from an old flat car - cut off the two ends with the bogies attached

cut a piece of plasticard to the width of the vehicle, approx the length of the old vehicle

drill 2 holes 3" apart in the plasticard

get a piece of HARDBOARD approx 4" long, and drill 2 holes ( for track pins) 3" apart

glue 2 track pins into the holes, with the rough sid of the hardboard down

the hardboard sits on the track, and the pins pass through the holes on the flatcar body and allow vertical movement

add some lead to weight the hardboard track cleaning pad, and a magnet at one end to pick up stray screws

off you go!

You can spray it with alcohol / halfords lemon degreaseR if you have very dirty track

run daily for shiny rails!

========================= ~==== I I =====~ 0-0 -------------- 0-0 A ROUGH DIAGRAM! i CAN PROVIDE PICS IR ANYONE IS INTERESTED OF MY n SCALE VERSION

Reply to
nrobinson

I have both a centreline cleaner and a Roco Clean. The Roco Clean is a track cleaning car which comes with a removeable abrasive pad. If you remove this its posible to attach Masonite (hardboard) pads to the base and I find this the most effective. The Roco clean comes with NEM coupler sockets to is easy to choose the coupling of your choice. I also find a few drops of Railzip work very well after cleaning, a month or so later the centreline cleaner can be used with water to renew the effect.

Richie

Cigarette filters..... You can buy these in packs of 200 for next to nowt. Get an old wagon from a swapmeet for £2.00 add some weight and attach a couple of filters facing downwards with a bit of wire,between the wheels, and run a loco backwards a couple of times around the track. Excellent non abrasive cleaner.

Reply to
.

Thanks for the information Guys. Anyone know where I can get some Rail Zip? None of the local shops seem to have any.

In message , . writes

Reply to
Ian Birchenough

The Engine Shed in Leytonstone Mainly Trains at

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

In case you missed my Friday post:

UK distibutor: