Very sorry to hear it

"Jane Sullivan" wrote

I think France still has dependent territories, but not so sure that NZ has.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Roger T." wrote

Not so. I think the classic proving example would be Keppler Wessels who played cricket for Australia and ended up captaining the South African team.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Greg Procter" wrote

Along with most human rights, including virtually all those for women.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

We still have several - we keep kicking but they won't let go!

Reply to
Greg Procter

Certainly - but what's not often commented on these days is that 90% of Afghanistan today is ruled by other than the official Afghan Government and the majority of Afghans are worse off under feudal warlords that they were under the Taliban.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

"Greg Procter" wrote

Well I can't comment on that I'm afraid, but seems there are very few answers to the third world's problems.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

There are (long term) answers to their problems, but one needs to consider who is asking the questions and who is defining the problems. While the West defines the problems there never will be any answer, because the West is in part the cause of the problems. So long as the US and UK continue to support dictatorships, feudal monarchies and the like, the problems will only get worse.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

It would now appear that those responsible were not brought up on the mean streets of Basra but rather the mean streets of Bradford / Leeds / Aylesbury and Jamaica and none of the bombers would appear to have any connection to Iraq other than sharing a religion with many in the Middle East. It would appear they were angry young men manipulated by elders, hmm typed that somewhere before... Some Muslims blame the West's politics in Muslim countries but in carrying out an attack on the West they killed their own people, other devout Muslims. As Charles Clark said on Channel4 news last night, these attacks have been going on throughout Europe and the World for decades, long before Iraq and Afganistan.

Yes Britain's involvement in Iraq and Afganistan could have provoked these attacks, would these attacks not have happened if Britain hadn't been involved in the US alliance? Probably not.

Reply to
Lost Control

I know nothing at all about sporting rules, but I think France treats its overseas territories as a _part of_ France, rather than using the arm's length approach Britain takes. The various French territories use Euros, send politicans to Paris, etc. There are no Falkland Islands or Bermudan MPs in Westminster, for example, but Reunion is represented in Paris. The Maps on Euro banknotes show French Guiana. Politically Reunion et al are more like (say) the Shetlands than like Pitcairn.

BICBW!

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

"Lost Control" wrote

Have you forgotten that 9/11 happened BEFORE the war in Iraq?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Exactly my point, a couple of people on here jumping up and down quoting Iraq or Afganistan as the reasons for the attack, perhaps your question should be directed to them. As I said (and you deleted) it was quoted a few days back that these kind of attacks have been going on around the world, including Europe for many many years.

Reply to
Lost Control

Do you know how long it has been since the US and Britain began interfering in the ME?

Reply to
Greg Procter

"Greg Procter" wrote

Yes, but we also messed around in Australia, New Zealand, Canada and many parts of Africa, not to mention China and other parts of the Far East, the Caribbean, parts of South America ................... the list goes on. How many of these places have bombed the USA, Spain, the UK and many other places. Apologies for any I've missed.

There seems to be a particularly evil mindset in some parts of the world.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Hasn't the bell rung on this one yet? Do you know how long it has been since a New Zealander began interfering in the UK and haranguing us about how evil we are?

Not to mention that tourism is seen by many as an evil interference that destroys local cultures, and of course all international trade is an evil interference that exploits the third world and depletes their resources, and where I used to live I went next door to complain about the noise of a party at 4.00 a.m. and the householder told me I was interfering in his affairs in an evil manner and he had no choice but to kill me with a bomb to maintain his cultural integrity, and some indigenous cultures don't see why they have to tolerate an influx of outsiders that turns their society upside down and they would naturally resent the invaders and in their desperation to recover control of their own affairs might have to resort to....hang on, I've just realised... that applies to us here in England! Can we use our nukes now, please? Leeds would be a good target.

Doom! Doom! We're all doomed I tell you!

.. and anyone else spot what a key role the railways played in facilitating these murders? Scrap the railways now!

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
Steve W

"Steve W" wrote

Fine, but can you avoid the area around Elland Road please - I've a sneaking feeling that United will have a reasonable team next season. ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

John Turner banged on his/her/it's keyboard in uk.rec.models.rail and came up with this:

You should get Lee Bowyer back. He's more dangerous than any nuke. Sure to be welcomed by the local Asian community. :-)

Reply to
Trespasser

"Trespasser" wrote

I never thought of that! ;-)

Bit of a thug though!

John.

Reply to
John Turner

If you wish to maintain price you limit supply, over production in the 80s and early 90s lead to a glut.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Sure, but you went away!

So how come the US and the UK keep messing in the ME?

Reply to
Greg Procter

It depends at what point in the supply chain you're at! The primary producers, like most, have to produce huge amounts just to earn enough to eat.

Reply to
Greg Procter