A new item for spot welders - maybe others. Really nice for production.

FIrst - I own some stock - but all of use in this group can't bump or dump 3M.

I tore an add out of some mag at work - Not even a name on either side.

It is a tape that one puts on the back side or the side one wants to keep clean.

Consider the wart spots in steel that get heated and change color and shape. THis prevents it.

It is 3M VHB Tape

call 1800 567 1637 ext.

1073 Qualified projects you can get some as samples.

If the ad is up and up - It will be great! No refinishing needed.

Martin

Reply to
Eastburn

I picked up some 3M VHB tape at Boeing Surplus. It is a double back tape with about a 1 mm thick core that is some sort of rubber/plastic. My initial impression is that it wasn't very strong, but after reading your message I put a piece about four inches long ( 1 inch wide ) between a scrap piece of 3/8 th steel and a piece of 1 1/2 inch square tubing and clamped it in the vise. I just took it out and can not pull the two pieces apart with my hands.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Caster

What I found out was it is a series of many tapes.

The one I was talking about then was a copper strip covered that one puts on the back side of two sheets getting spot welded. The side it is on doesn't get the burn or melted circles of colored steel. It looked like the rest of the sheet.

I guess the copper - a guess - to conduct over a larger area and not concentrate. But how it then works - is beyond my mind right now. SPread out - not hot in a spot.

Martin

Reply to
Eastburn