bought a 9" southbend take a look

Ok I bought the lathe $200. Looks to be in good shape I spent the last 4 nights cleaning and painting.

I did have a question about the collets if anyone has a holder that will fit then and if they can be used on this lathe. They didn't come with it, but if I could use them that would be great.

I have the sizing info here

Any help would be great.

Reply to
Wayne Makowicki

Looks nice to me.....I went to Harbor Freight yesterday on the way home from the new Cabelas in PA. Those mini lathes don't look all that great. Even the big mill/lathes they sell are junk.

Jamie Arnold (W)

I was looking at those mini lathes online but my father has a 9" south bend so any stuff he has will fit this. 2 more metal lathes came in the paper today. One has a 6" swing the seller doesn't know much about it, came from his dad. He wants $50.00 for it. I may just look at it for the hell of it. He also has a Mill/lathe with alot of tooling, says over $5000 in goodies. He said he would take $800 for all that. He has many wood working tools also. I think sunday I will take a ride out just need a plane to divert my wife.

Reply to
Wayne Makowicki

I take it that you just have to have that bob the builder cup? >:)

Reply to
John Thompson

From what I can see in the pics, it looks like you have a very nice lathe! For $200 thats a steal. I'd say a gloat.

Dunno about the collets.

The first picture in your collet page is missing.

John

Reply to
John Thompson

I also have a 9" southbend. I just sent you an email with a photo of my collet setup. The holder/parts should be easy to make if you can't find one, but the collets are another matter.

twot>Ok I bought the lathe $200. Looks to be in good shape I spent the last 4

Reply to
twotone

man...I'd be there in a matter of minutes....

Reply to
James Arnold

I had plans to look at the small lathe today but a truck rolled on the highway so getting from point A to Piont B was going to require sitting in the car to long. The seller is away tomarrow, I just hope I don't loose out. I have lost many before but do manage to grab many good deals to. If I buy it and don't have much use for it (I won't) I will email a pic and you let me know if you want it.

Reply to
Wayne Makowicki

Yeah, looks like you got a good deal. I like the color, too. I've got a BIG shaper to paint, and was thinking about that color of blue. What exact color, mfg, etc.. did you use?

Also, have you thought about converting to 5C collets? It might be easier to come up with a closer system that way (plus easier to find collets).

Thanks

Reply to
John L. Weatherly

The spindle hole in a South Bend 9" is too small to accept 5C collets.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

Sounds great..let me know.

James Arnold

Gotcha

Reply to
John L. Weatherly

Yes its a 3c spindle. I was hoping to be able to use the collets I have, they aren't cheap, even on ebay. My father has some of the 3c collets with the draw bar but he lives 1 hour from me so it would be nice to have something here.

Reply to
Wayne Makowicki