Hey, Ernie ......

Thank you, Sensei.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Steve is a highly experienced weldor who's been a highly-regarded contributor to this NG for many years.

You, OTOH, have no such credentials.

Since you obviously have little, if any, real-world experience with compressed gas containers, I'd suggest that you simply visit your local gas supplier and examine 50 randomly-selected bottles to see just how well or poorly the caps on them actually fit.

Report back with your findings.

Until then STFU.

Reply to
RAM³

Thank you. I've been around the block so many times, I'm still dizzy.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I'm in Texas as many of the group know.

I don't expect them to do anything. The caps are just another layer of safety but it's stupid to rely on them as a total fail safe. As I say I've seen to many of them that don't fit properly. It's not my doing but you never know what someone who has the cylinder in the field has done. I'd never count on the fillers for catching all of them either. Shoot one time I walked into the corner where the cylinders are stored and smelled acetylene. I started checking valves to see which one was loose. When I found it I coulding believe my eyes. The whole valve turned in the cylinder instead of the valve stem tightening. That cylinder had been filled with a loose valve.

Reply to
Wayne Cook

Not even a full time welder, but I have seen the same at least a half a dozen times over the years.

Scroll down about half way to the locomotive roundhouse picture. Very new looking cylinder from the 1930s that appears identical to the ones in use today. (Dial-up users beware, that page is huge.)

Reply to
William Bagwell

Better yet, until you know me well enough to realize my experience, and/or are ready to discuss the facts based on data instead of myths - perhaps YOU should just RAM³ it in your arse.

Reply to
Watson

So that explains it.

Reply to
Watson

| >Where are you a drop dealer? And if the threads on a cylinder are so poor | >they won't lift the mere weight of a cylinder, how do you expect them to | >protect the valve? | >

| | I'm in Texas as many of the group know. | | I don't expect them to do anything. The caps are just another layer | of safety but it's stupid to rely on them as a total fail safe. As I | say I've seen to many of them that don't fit properly. It's not my | doing but you never know what someone who has the cylinder in the | field has done. I'd never count on the fillers for catching all of | them either. Shoot one time I walked into the corner where the | cylinders are stored and smelled acetylene. I started checking valves | to see which one was loose. When I found it I coulding believe my | eyes. The whole valve turned in the cylinder instead of the valve stem | tightening. | That cylinder had been filled with a loose valve. |

That doesn't exactly answer the questions. Where in Texas are you a drop dealer, and how do you expect a cap that won't lift cylinder, to properly protect the valve?

But you also open another topic. If a gas supplier can't be trusted to supply cylinder with properly maintained caps and valves, who can be? In a time of litigation happy people, I can believe any gas supplier could be so incompetent.

I have been user of compressed gases continuously since the early 1970s, and I have NEVER been given a cylinder with a questionable valve or cap. Over tightened a couple of times, yes. But never in such a poor condition it would even be safe to lift the cylinder.

Reply to
Watson

Stick around for a decade, "Watson", and demonstrate - here - your expertise, and, perhaps, you may be able to -earn- some credibility.

Some have, many haven't.

Steve has.

You haven't, except as a TROLL.

Reply to
RAM³

I didn't see a post from you RoyJ. Where was is it? Go there and post under it again. I will be looking.

Reply to
Watson