Looking for TIG for home shop

For location work, from multiple voltages.... Dynasty 200DX For shop work, and 100 more amps output... Syncrowave 250DX
They are in the same price range.
Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler
Inverters probably are more efficient, if they work like motor inverters, they rectify the AC incoming and charge capacitors to a DC bus voltage somewhere around 1.414 X the RMS voltage. Then high powered transistors (Maybe MOSFET's or IGBT's) are fired as needed to get output to the welding leads. There is probably an inductor and rectifier in line somewhere, it stores power in a magnetic field to keep the output smooth while the transistors fire on and off.
In my shop I generate 3 phase by using a 3 phase 10HP motor idling on 240 single phase. I have to use a small single phase motor to spin it up, then I flip on the breaker and have 3 phase. This would trip smaller breakers with the motor just idling. I bought some large motor run capacitors and wired between the phases with the highest voltage reading and got it balanced better and the idle current went way down, no more tripped breakers.
RogerN
Reply to
RogerN
About the nearest eBay syncrowave 250 I've found is in Chicago, I'm about 270 miles south.
He's asking $3000 but it doesn't look any better than the ones I've seen selling for a lot less than that. I thought about making them a low offer (less than $1000).
There's one in Memphis I found on Craigslist, that's only about a 4 hour drive, a little closer than Chicago.
I'm still thinking about buying one of the Diversion 165 or Hobart EZ Tig 165i for $1300. I could use it while watching for a good deal locally on a syncrowave 250. I'm off work today on a vacation day, thought maybe I'd call the local welding equipment places to see if they have any used syncrowave 250's or new low cost TIG's.
RogerN
Reply to
RogerN
I forgot to post the Craigslist ad of the one in Memphis.
RogerN
RogerN
I never even bother to talk to those kinds of people.
Roger, just wait and look and you will find a good deal.
Ignoramus30382
It's probably too hot to weld outside anyways. I could unplug the stove, I wonder if my wife would mind me welding in the kitchen?
RogerN
Reply to
RogerN
Use a big fan, then heat is not a problem
Reply to
Ignoramus30382
His price is insane, $3k was just about new price for that stuff, not $6k. I know, I bought my Syncrowave 250 and Coolmate V3, torch, wheel kit, etc. new.
Reply to
Pete C.

Use a big fan and your argon shielding goes away...
Reply to
Pete C.
That might blow the shielding gas away, I better weld in the kitchen :-)
I'm going to go look at a new old stock welder, it's a Century TIG for $350, it sounds worth looking at anyways. If it will do what I want I'll take a chance on it. I was calling around looking for used Syncrowaves.
Off topic here: You can think about using your CNC mill as a lathe for small parts. There are all sorts of possibilities for mounting tooling on the table cutting small pieces in the spindle, no tailstock though, but you can center drill, drill, and could tap if you had the spindle encoder set up.
RogerN
Reply to
RogerN
I never talk to such people.
Ignoramus30382
The picture shows a Syncrowave 250 and the description says a 250DX. They are not the same, the DX is newer and a bit fancier controls. Both have pretty much the same operational specs I believe. I have the non-DX 250 and am extremely happy with it.
The picture also shows it has the wheel kit which it doesn't appear that the overpriced one has. No description on torch, footpedal, etc. that may be included. The price is still high, but less insane than the other one. You might be able to watch this listing for a while and then negotiate down to an acceptable price after it's sat for some time without selling. It's already over 2 weeks so far.
Reply to
Pete C.

No, but we can all laugh at them...
Reply to
Pete C.
Just put something in front of the part that you are welding. No big deal.
MOST.DEFINITELY.YES
This will be the thing to do. If I manage to make a NMTB30 chuck, and it works well, it will be very good for small parts i
Reply to
Ignoramus30382
This is a reasonable price for a DX. Not really cheap to brag about. But acceptable if you really need on. DXs have some options that are built in (pulsing and timing things), which you need to buy as options for a regular 250. I have these options on my regular 250 (TIG pulser)
Reply to
Ignoramus30382
One more thing Roger. If you really need something and plan to make money from it, it is totally okay to pay a fair price. Then make up for it with great deals for things that you do not need and reselling.
Yes, I found two syncrowaves for $150 each and for $400. I sold them for profit. But I bought my own, pre-recession, for $1200. It was a fair price to pay.
The problem with great deals is that you do not know what comes up next and when.
Ignoramus30382
Yes, however the picture does not show a 250DX.
Reply to
Pete C.
The wheel kits were an extra option when I priced them. Not bad, just a leetle overpriced. But if one wanted mobility, and didn't know how to weld and build their own, it would get you started with a moveable machine until you could learn how to weld and fab.
Steve
visit my blog at

Steve B
If you want one to make money, spent the bucks as Ig says. You want to crank it up and ring the cash register. Nothing's worse than dorking around with a machine, and a customer leaves with money still in their pocket. That is why I always have suggested that one buy a name brand, or at least one of the top five welding whatevers. There's less down time, and if you do need parts or fixing, you don't have to ship it off the planet.
Steve
visit my blog at

Steve B
I went to look at the new old stock TIG welder. On the front of it said "Century 20 Amp Plasma Cutter". It looked a bit rough and the guy said he'd take $250 for it. Seems this guy had a welding shop some 30 years ago and now it's just a falling in pole barn with junk in it. The plasma cutter looks as if it had been setting in the weather for several years, dirty, rust at the bottom. If it would work I think it would be worth having a plasma cutter for $250 but I'm looking for a TIG welder right now and don't want to spend money on a Plasma cutter that might not even work. Besides that I would need a machete to get the plasma cutter to my truck, you couldn't even see the pole building from the road, it was pretty grown up.
RogerN
Reply to
RogerN