Looking for TIG for home shop

wrote:

That might blow the shielding gas away, I better weld in the kitchen :-)
I'm going to go look at a new old stock welder, it's a Century TIG for $350, it sounds worth looking at anyways. If it will do what I want I'll take a chance on it. I was calling around looking for used Syncrowaves.
Off topic here: You can think about using your CNC mill as a lathe for small parts. There are all sorts of possibilities for mounting tooling on the table cutting small pieces in the spindle, no tailstock though, but you can center drill, drill, and could tap if you had the spindle encoder set up.
RogerN

Just put something in front of the part that you are welding. No big deal.

MOST.DEFINITELY.YES
This will be the thing to do. If I manage to make a NMTB30 chuck, and it works well, it will be very good for small parts i

<snip>
<snip>
I went to look at the new old stock TIG welder. On the front of it said "Century 20 Amp Plasma Cutter". It looked a bit rough and the guy said he'd take $250 for it. Seems this guy had a welding shop some 30 years ago and now it's just a falling in pole barn with junk in it. The plasma cutter looks as if it had been setting in the weather for several years, dirty, rust at the bottom. If it would work I think it would be worth having a plasma cutter for $250 but I'm looking for a TIG welder right now and don't want to spend money on a Plasma cutter that might not even work. Besides that I would need a machete to get the plasma cutter to my truck, you couldn't even see the pole building from the road, it was pretty grown up.
RogerN
RogerN wrote:

A 20A plasma cutter would be good for sheetmetal, but not thicker stuff, perhaps 1/4" max.

Roger, you can buy a good boat anchor for $25. Why pay $250?
Steve

It will only cut 1/4" stock
Ive got a very nice Cebora 920 (Daytona Pocket 25) that Id sell you for that money. Its only good for 3/16" max cut though...<G> Works just fine and looks good.
Since I got the Miller 2050..the Daytona hasnt come off the shelf.
One of these days Ill find someone who wants a plasma for doing car body work , for that it works just fine.
Gunner
"
RogerN wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MILLER-SYNCROWAVE-MODEL-250-TIG-WELDER-COOLMATE-CHILLER-/330425249497?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ceee12ed9
His price is insane, $3k was just about new price for that stuff, not $6k. I know, I bought my Syncrowave 250 and Coolmate V3, torch, wheel kit, etc. new.

I never talk to such people.
Ignoramus30382 wrote:

No, but we can all laugh at them...

One can always call the guy and make him an offer, explaining to him the facts of life.
Why is everybody so afraid of the damned phone?
Gunner
"
Gunner Asch wrote:

Telephones are so... 80s...

I told someone on RCM to CALL a bearing company, gave him the phone number and everything. Last I heard..he was still waiting for his email to be replied to....
Call the folks, get the answers immediately and get on with the project.
Daaaaayaaaam!!!!!
Gunner
"

Or just passing or saying no? If it ain't blue or red or free, 98% of the time, I am just not interested.
Steve

I thought it was blue?
Call the guy and tell him he wants too much and make an offer.
Geeeze.
Gunner

"
I looked for TIG welders today, I'm starting to believe they don't exist, I've been to 4 welding suppliers - none had any TIG's in stock. Also went to Tractor Supply and 3 Rural Kings (not all today). Not 1 single TIG anywhere. I contacted 2 places that have them, or at least claim to, here's an email of prices from one about 40 miles away.
"we have a Syncrowave 200 package, factory refurbished with 2 years left on warranty $1898.32 before tax. And we have a brand new Diversion 180 package, full 3 year warranty, $1554.80 before tax. All the Syncrowave 250DX packages that are in the rental fleet are pretty close to brand new, so the selling price would be around $4100.00 before tax. They are the full water cooled tig runner packages."
Their prices seem reasonable but I've found better, such as brand new Syncrowave 200 packages for less then their refurbished equipment. Their Diversion 180 is the best price I have found so far. Syncrowave 250DX rentals are higher than another welding supplier in the area... But so far new TIG's for sale around are more scarce than UFO sightings, and descent used machines for reasonable don't actually exist. I put a "Wanted" ad on Craigslist, there could be someone with one they would be willing to sell but haven't advertised.
I found new Syncrowave 250DX's listed locally for just under $2600 for the box only, I'm thinking I can use the number 18 torch, water cooler, etc from my old 330A/BP, I guess I would have to buy a foot pedal though.
I am supposed to try to weld up some damage on a Featherlite trailer this weekend, some welds are broke loose inside one of the fenders, hopefully I won't have a melt-away! I'll practice on some scrap first and start in an inconspicuous spot. There is also a fender support on the frame that has a broken weld. Luckily all these broken welds I need to repair are mostly hidden.
I have a brand new stainless steel hand brush, any cleaning or other recomendations for welding aluminum? I have welded aluminum before but it has been a few years ago, I did fine running beads but when trying to weld 2 pieces of aluminum together it was difficult to get a puddle to bridge between both pieces. Both sides of the aluminum would melt but they had a skin between the 2 pieces, I'm hoping a good SS wire brushing will take care of this.
RogerN
Here in Chicagoland, it is very easy to buy a Syncrowave 250 for $1,200 at a liquidation auction. It would come with a Bernard or Miller cooler and torch. Usually they sell for less. I will keep you posted if I see any upcoming auctions.

If I could find a good price on one I would come after it but it is about a 6 hour drive one way. I did buy an Enco mill once and they shipped it for $3XX, didn't seem bad for a 2400lb mill. Perhaps if I find a welder in the area I can get a shipping company to ship it to me.
I'm only about a 2 hour drive from St Louis so I'm hoping something shows up in that area. I need to get a listing of industrial auctions for St Louis area.
RogerN

LTL curbside delivery shouldn't be "too" bad. Call around for freight rates while you have that phone out.
Steve

Ive got a Lincoln 300 that works just fine on AC, but all DC ranges are full bore 300 amps. Ive got the restricted Lincoln schematics, the books and a spare tig torch. You supply the garden hose or a pump.
Make me an offer.
Else Im gonna have to keep it on my todo list and fix it one of these days. Probably 400 lbs or so. I think Ive got a pedal too.
http://content.lincolnelectric.com//...r/im/IM265.pdf
It has all the boards for "program" welding, including pre and post, etc etc.
Ive used it recently for welding aluminum, when someone was using my Airco Squarewave 300 building a kids race car on the welding table.
I snagged it in a 3 corner trade for machine tools, as a spare for the Airco. Ive got a Esab 250 squarewave out on loan that I can get back as my spare.
Or sign up and bid on something closer:
http://www.proxibid.com /
Gunner, California
"
wrote: <snip>

I found a syncrowave 250 on proxibid but I can't find anything to tell me if it is even located in the USA. Is there a way to tell the location of an item I'm interested in bidding on if it's close enough?
http://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDetail.asp?ahid 6&aid0036&lid80099#topoflot
RogerN