Pictures of one of my projects

There you go. You could resurrect that long board of yours.

John

Please note that my return address is wrong due to the amount of junk email I get. So please respond to this message through the newsgroup.

Reply to
John Flanagan

About 2 weeks on and off. We had to get the handrails roughed in fast so they could pass their mechanical inspection. We came back a week later to start the clean up work.

The railings ran up both sides of a set of stairs that came up in the middle of the lobby. The stairs lead to a short bridge that angled towards the stairwell that wrapped up around an elevator shaft, and ended at the second floor lobby. So the outside perimeter handrail ended up being a continuous tube about 70 feet long and the inside rail about 50 feet. For the lower stairs and bridge there already existed a steel rail system that was built with the stairs. I had to add the grip tube in 2" brushed stainless. So we had to hack holes in the walls to glue plywood to the back of the drywall for the supports, then patch the holes. Then mount the supports and play connect the dots with 2" brushed stainless tubing. Then weld in the elbows. A week later we came back, sawzalled the rails apart into long pieces, finished the welds in a temporary shop we set up in the building, grind all the welds smooth, place the finished rail sections back on their supports, weld the sections back together in place, sand off those welds, and finally buff the whole length with scotchbrite.

Easy really.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

A air die grinder with small carbide burrs.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

BTW I thought I would save money when ordering the elbows from RB Wagner, by ordering 180 deg turns and then cut the actual angle needed from that 180 degrees. I figured I could get several short angles for each turn. What I didn't count on was that to draw a 2" tube around a 180 deg turn necessarily reduces it's outside diameter. It made for some really tricky welds, and then trying to blend out those weld beads without grinding through the tube wall.

Next time I will order more elbows with shorter arcs.

BTW RB Wagner are great guys.

They did some 1 day turnaround brushed stainless 180 degree turns I needed for another job, on a Friday afternoon before a holiday and actually got them shipped out before the end of the day. Love those guys. Bernice is in charge of orders and while her picture in their catalog isn't very flattering, she is a great lady.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

They make abrasive rope. I've seen it in wood working catalogs in the past. Wood turners use it to sand the round details on turnings.

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Reply to
Wayne Cook

That's right, I've done this before. But instead of using a burr which I found to be difficult to control at times and too fat to get into tight spaces, I used cut-off wheel 4" x 1/16", I think I also had a thicker wheel too. I got some pretty nice looking results too. Can't remember what it was for even it's been so long.

John

Please note that my return address is wrong due to the amount of junk email I get. So please respond to this message through the newsgroup.

Reply to
John Flanagan

Ernie Leimkuhler wrote in news:080720032301566379% snipped-for-privacy@stagesmith.com:

Thansk for sharing that Earnie. (wonderbar!)

Reply to
Rager