Disgusting

that
I don't really enjoy those who hover right over the runway unless they are willing to climb to allow me to shoot touch and goes under them. Most do once they have seen that *I* practice as much control over my airplane as they do.
This complaint stinks of sour grapes. It looks like a duck. It talks like a duck. It sounds like a duck. It walks like a duck. Therefore it must be a pattern flyer who lost to some kid who could really fly well.
P.S. Your "complaint" MIGHT be more believable if you had the courage of your convictions enough to sign your real name and PROVE that last assertion.
Jim Branaum

Six,
You know as well as I do that certain individuals will make use of any and all information they can glean from this and other internet sources. And you also know that their purpose is malicious at best and driven by nothing less than evil intent. To that end, how can you criticize anyone for wanting to protect their own identity in any way they deem fit?
You of all should know better!
Chuck

of
nothing
But *I* am only scared of the second floor surgical nurse with a needle. It's a Marine thing. . . . .
You seem to have missed the last assertion that needed to be proven. I could be wrong, but I have yet to seen a grandmother with the qualifications necessary to judge any model aviation event. Well, maybe Hazel . . . .

That would be the "square" needle wouldn't it? :)

qualifications
Actually, in her day my Grandmother probably could have been a judge. She and my mother use to build the stick and tissue stuff. That's where I learned it.
Jealousy rears it's ugly head again.....
Worst case of sour grapes I've seen in a long time...
Bill

trying
nice
controlled
Bill Fulmer wrote:

Or he's just trollin.
Just cause you can't fly 20 feet obove the ground in a hover does not make it bad, It just means that you are not a good enough flyer to do it!
Stop complaining and get a good plane and start practicing to get good in modern flying style. You will find it more challenging than old pattern.

but

I have no problem with 3-D maneuvers on the runway, unless I'm practicing touch and goes at the same time. That's when courtesy takes over. Another point is almost EVERYONE is doing 3-D...I like to do and see something different at the field. Like maybe a "teeter-board" Dr.1 tripe? Try aerobatics with THAT sucker! :)
Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

"Modern" doesn't always mean "better". On "hovering" ....A challenge? I'm sure. Noisy, boring (after the 4th or 5th one) and just plain (and plane) disruptive.....Undoubtedly.
My .02 worth.
Mike

AMEN! Let'em try to hover a Dr.1! LOL! For that matter, let'em try to just land one without flipping it over! Certain maneuvers are easy when the plane is designed to do them. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

just
plane
Boy, you sure do sound like a stick in the mud kind of guy! After all, shouldn't EVERYTHING be designed for the IG guys? . . . . . . . (that was a joke) IG = Instant Gratification
Are you saying hovering is easy on anything but a Dr1?
I want to see you hover a plane someday........even one that is designed to do it. Certain maneuvers ARE hard.........until you prove me wrong.
Everyone wants to attest it takes no skill to hover.........so show me.
Oh wait, let me guess.....you don't have the TIME to be goofing off, etc., etc.........
Brad

just
plane
No one says it doesn't take any skill to hover. It takes less skill to perfect one maneuver than it does to perfect a very repeatable series of precise maneuvers, though!
I can hover a Ballistick fairly easy and it is not specifically designed for that. Any plane with sufficient power and a thrust line very close to the CG can be hovered. Where many planes run into problems is when the thrust line is offset from the CG.
-- Paul McIntosh http://www.rc-bearings.com

IF you are able to read, you will know I never said that. Let me repeat myself and rephrase it so even you can understand it.
Some planes are designed to perform certain maneuvers well or more easily than others. Typically, pattern planes are easy to fly smoothly, straight and level, and do smooth aerobatics with, because they are designed to fly that way. Remember, any bobble is a loss of points. It's hard to do smooth aerobatics with the sport plane I designed, because it's not built to do that type of flying. 3D planes are DESIGNED to perform 3D maneuvers more easily than other types of planes. Therefore, it's easier to perform a hover with a 3D plane than it is with most sport planes. Now, you prove ME wrong.
You will not see me hovering because that type of flying holds absolutely no interest for me. In my LONG R/Cing career, I've done full competition fun fly, sport, scale, and giant scale. I fly what I like, you may fly what you like. However, you must allow me to not like what you fly. Speaking of planes designed to do certain things well, take a look at an unlimited class fun fly plane and fly it, when you get the nerve.

Sure I do, and I do "goof off" with my sport planes. When I fly my scale planes, I fly them in a scale-like manner.

I repeat...it doesn't take AS MUCH skill to hover a 3D plane as it does, let's say, a Great Planes Super Sportster or a J-3 Cub. You'll never convince me it does. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"
On 21 Jul 2004 19:53:53 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Dr1Driver) wrote:

Good grief! I got skill and I didn't even know it. I can hover my GP SS MkII.
Hovering ain't the big deal folks make it out to be if your engine's got the juice.
Texas Pete

Thanks, Pete. It's some skill, fur sur, but a LOT the right engine and prop, too. :) Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"
That is very true. Setup is probably more important than raw skill.
-- Paul McIntosh http://www.rc-bearings.com

prop,

Go to the SPAD site and build yourself a QHOR for under $10 (does not include radio and engine) and stick on a .25 Norvel with a 9x4 prop or a TT GP.40 with a 10x4 prop and you'll be able to hover six inches off the ground all day long after a little practice. It'll drive the guys with the $3000 monster airplanes nuts too! Lotsa' cheap fun! Joe L.
"Old Pattern" is getting to be a rather lost art and is far more difficult than simply performing maneuvers. Seems that "modern" flying is more about extremes than actual flying precision.
I see the need to master all disciplines before calling yourself an expert. I am far from that in several aspects!
-- Paul McIntosh http://www.rc-bearings.com

in
one more club-basher.......have fun with your "lonely little self
-- Viper Pilo
----------------------------------------------------------------------- Viper Pilot's Profile: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?action=getinfo&useridx9 View this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid%307