Four Star 40 mods n engine

Hi I thinking of building the Four* 40..I have 2 engines a OS 46fx and a Irvine 40.. Which is better for the 4*..I like flying more of a docile plane then a rocket. Also planning on sheeting the LE of the wings n turttle deck. Single servo should pose any problems..Any thought or suggestions are welcomed Thanks Dan E-Mail snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
DanNJ

Hi Dan,

The 4 Star is a great model. I've flown them with motors lots less powerful than either one you mentioned. An OS .40 FP for instance.

If your reason for sheeting the surfaces is additional strength, it's not needed. Sheeting the LE does make covering much easier though. Also if the turtle deck sticks are on the soft side, they are easily broken in handling.

The only chronic problems I've seen with 4 Stars is the landing gear block busting loose from the fuse on hard landings. Some of our club members solve that by using nylon screws to affix the gear to the block. Other members solve it by doing a better job landing.

enjoy Happy Flying, Mike

Reply to
Mike

Reply to
Phil

Both of those engines would have plenty of power for the way you want to fly. You can always throttle back!! You shouldn't need to sheet the leading edges. My suggestion is to jump to the 4*60. I think they fly better. They are not perfect aerobatic planes, but do the basics well and are a lot of fun to fly.

John VB

Reply to
jjvb

The 4 star was my 2nd (and 3rd) plane. Unless they changed the design (this was way back when it first came out), you'll need a long engine mount for a 2 stroke.

As has been mentioned, the landing gear block is a big weak spot in this plane. Use tri stock reinforcement and some glass cloth in this area with epoxy in all joints.

Otherwise, its a terrific plane. I have a 4 star 120 waiting in my stash to be built.

John

Reply to
JohnT.