futaba radio 9C anyone using one like it?

Hello, I'm using a 6XAS i'm wondering if the new radio(besides being able to hold more planes in the memory, and alpha numeric) is much different.. i also see the controls are of a different variety.. anyone ? thanks snipped-for-privacy@i-2000.com

Reply to
Gig

I upgraded to a 9C from a 6XAS and I love it. Holds 8 or 9 memories with a total of 14 using a Campac module. The alpha numeric display beats the "Model #" display hands down. Much easier to program once you mess with it a bit. More features by far. More channels of course. Uses a freq module for channel selection. I have one for 72mhz and one for

50mhz. 2 timers (still figuring those suckers out). You can also pretty much put any function on pretty much any knob or slider. Those sliders rock, by the way and beep at center. No more looking down at the flap knob! Get one, you wont regret it.
Reply to
Fubar

Actually, there are three:

S1 (stop-watch 1) S2 (stop-watch 2) and the main timer (displayed above the other two)

The main timer shows HH:MM total time that the radio has been on since the timer was reset. I use this to show total "on-time" for the battery. Reset this timer by selecting it (using the arrows until it flashes) then pressing and holding the jog knob.

For the two stop watches, you go into the timer programming screen and assign an action to initiate them, as well as a starting value, etc. I assigned mine to switches. Now, when I flip the switch, the timer takes off (either counting up or down, depending on how you have the timer configured).

I don't have my radio here, so I can't give you button by button instructions. If it's not clear when you get in there, just e-mail me and I'll put it together for you.

Reply to
Mark Hansen

Got mine thru my LHS. He beat the Tower Hobbies price. I would have gone there if he couldnt have gotten one for me. I believe I paid something like $365 with tax. Tower has em for $379.99 WITH a 16K campac! They also have em on the Ham freqs and I happened to see channel 8 listed.

73's!
Reply to
Fubar

Thanks. Do you know offhand if the timers are selectable for each memory? I really havent screwed with em because I have a good idea how long my diff planes fly anyway and havent ever actually timed em with a watch. I have the manual around here someplace. My wife is always cleaning up after me (bless her heart!) and messing up my pile file system.

Reply to
Fubar

I just made that jump a few weeks ago, and the 9C is an incredible radio. I loved my 6XAs radio and still use it, but the programming of the 9C is so easy, I was able to sit down and program in a couple of planes without reading the manual. It has a huge amount of functions that the 6X doesn't have, and just about any function can be placed on any switch or slider. I am guessing that my 6X will start gathering dust fairly quickly once I get my planes moved to the 9C. Get one, you won't be sorry you did.

As for best price, the best price I could find was at

I had to wait a week to get it because they were out of radios, but it was definately worth the wait. I got the complete system with a few added accessories for almost $100 less than I could find elseware.

David

Reply to
David Morris

Yes, each model can have 2 timers. The third timer times the radio's on time since the last reset (charge) and isn't applicable to any model in memory.

Paul

Reply to
Paul in Redland

I know the feeling! To the untrained eye my desk looks a mess. But I know exactly where to find something. However when my wife objects to my 'filing system' and cleans up for me, I can never find a thing. I think she knows this now because when she wants my desk tidy, she knows that all she has to do is threaten to tidy up for me. I like the expression 'pile file' lol

Regards

Thomas

Reply to
freeda

Gig,

Check prices at Tower on both items, they have a special sale going on ....

--

Jim L.

Using - Virtual Access(OLR), ZAP 4.5, & WinXP Pro w/SP1

Reply to
Jim Lilly

Yes, they are. I run one as a countdown timer to tell me to land. It is different for each model.

Reply to
Mike Norton

This is the best radio I have ever used! I use mine on 50MHz too, channel 9.

I set one timer up on the throttle. You can program the timer to start at a programmable point on the stick. I set it for about 1/4 on my Fly'n King with a .91 four stroke. That way the timer starts when the engine runs in the higher fuel consumption range. This gives me a more accurate estimate of overall fuel use.

Come to think of it, I need to set this for my profile P-38. I'd hate to lose an engine (and the plane) due to a dry tank on one engine, especially on landing approach. (Been there, done that with a Twin Star).

Tom

Reply to
Tom Johnson