Keep RC plans affordable

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 11:57:29 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote in :

In fact, oddly enough, it is a matter of copyright law.

We discussed this in 2003 and again in 2005.

Here is the background information about BUILDINGS, reprinted from one of my posts from February 14, 2003, and February 9, 2005:

The copyright law was amended in 1990 to explicitly prohibit building more than one BUILDING from a set of ARCHITECTURAL plans.

"In December 1990, President Bush signed into law the Architectural Works Copyright Protection Act of 1990. Prior to this legislation, copyright protection for the work of design professionals was afforded only to drawings and specifications. The author of the design had no copyright remedy if a duplicate structure was constructed from the original drawings and specifications or from the building itself, provided the drawings and specifications were not copied.

"The 1990 Act retains copyright protection for drawings as "pictorial" or "graphic" works, and building from the original drawings or building is now a copyright infringement.

"Under the 1990 Act, a "building" encompasses habitable structures, such as houses and office buildings, as well as structures which are used but not inhabited by human beings, such as churches, pergolas, gazebos and garden pavilions. The Congressional Committee Report2 specifically notes that interior design is included in the definition of "building." Bridges, cloverleafs, dams, highways or walkways are not "buildings" under the definition of architectural works."

I suggest that model airplanes are NOT buildings and that plan sets are NOT architectural drawings in the meaning of the act. The framers of the legislation deliberately excluded things that are not BUILDINGS from this particular act. A model is not now and never has been a BUILDING, and so plans for models do not enjoy the protections given to plans for buildings under the 1990 act:

"A building in this context refers to a structure habitable by people, including houses and office buildings. Another exception to the copyright arises under the doctrine of fair use. Under certain circumstances, a use that might otherwise be deemed infringing is excused. In evaluating whether a particular use is a fair use, certain factors are considered?the purpose and character of the use, including whether it is of a commercial nature; the nature of the copyrighted work; the amount and substantiality of the portion used; and the effect of the use on the potential market for or value of a copyrighted work. For example, copying an article from a six-year old periodical for purposes of personal use would be fair use, while repeated copying of articles from current issues of the same periodical for commercial purposes would not because the latter would tend to deprive the copyright owner of subscription sales."

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

I dont think its a criminal offence, no..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Fluff. It makes no point about scalping. But you knew that.

Reply to
Don Bowey

The distinction is on *MODEL*, not airplane, for the comparison.

Are we cheap bastards or what? If you like it enough to build 10 copies from the set of plans, spend a little money. Or if it sucked enough to require 10 extra copies, maybe you should have stopped after the second.

Reply to
MikeWhy

It does, if you have a little imnagination.

Scalping is OK when its USA inc, that does it, almost OK when its Big Oil, OIr Halliburins, Or Boeing, or Arthur Andersen & friends.. but let some poor sod queue up for hours to make a profit?

No.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Or learn to draw your own,. Its hardly rocket science.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 11:59:06 -0600, "MikeWhy" wrote in :

Yes, I'm cheap.

I've built four or five Gremlins from the same set of templates that I derived from the first set of plans I bought.

I don't think Eric (Evl-1) Henderson would mind.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

"Martin X. Moleski, SJ" wrote

You bought plans?

I guess that makes me cheaper than you. I made my own plans by approximating what was in RC Modeler, and improved on it until I was happy with it.

Oh, and I used .40's on mine. Goes like a bat out of hell!

Reply to
Morgans

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 13:50:22 -0500, "Morgans" wrote in :

Yep. One for me, seven or eight to resell to others with cores and short kits. :-P

I've stuck with a .32 and a .36.

A few folks went with .40s or .46s. They didn't do a lot better in combat than I did, by and large.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Yep!

Fluff.

Get real. Since when is eBay's scalping subsidiary a poor sod?

Reply to
Don Bowey

OOOOOH! Can I use that one?

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

Well, there are probably better references available than the following but try this :

I used to have a good link on copyright law but can't find it atm, the following seems quite useful though :

Cheers,

Reply to
Boo

Do any of you know if the person who purchased Bill Effinger's plans still sells them? Bill re-engineered/updated many of the old Berkeley plans and was selling them for some while before he made his final departure.

Reply to
Geoff Sanders

Yeah, you guys are right. This discussion has made me realize that the whole system has changed, and it's not likely to go back. Too many people just don't care about paying for other people's services when it's so convenient to steal them. Not complaining, that's just the way it is. I'll work up the plans for my three planes anyway, though. It's too good to keep for myself. The bomb dropper will handle three rolls of toilet paper, and it's a good flier, too.

Reply to
Robert Reynolds

That point has been mentioned several times in this conversation. I've designed a few of my own with great results, but I love well designed magazine plans. The thing I like about the RCM catalog is the enormity and variety of imagination that went into the different designs. Hundreds of designers built, tested and redesigned their own planes and then offered them to the public. And I'm pretty sure that the editors at RCM spent a lot of time making sure that the planes in their magazine flew well, at least the ones designed by their inner circle of cohorts. I get a lot of entertainment from building these planes and admiring how well they perform, and then moving right along to the next one. Of all the dozens of RCM designs I've built, only a few of them were less than great, and only one of them totally sucked. That was the Fat Porter. If you've ever considered it, forget it.

I've been amazed at how good some of the others were. The Super Kaos is excellent, the Miss Bikini is incredibly good. One of my favorites is the Big John biplane. There are just too many to mention. Any of you guys ever build the Guppy? What a cool plane. Maybe it sounds like I'm going overboard, but I truly appreciate what those other guys passed along to me. That's why I'm going to go ahead and publish my three good designs, whether they get pirated and spread around for free or not. I hope somebody else gets as big a kick out of them as I have.

Reply to
Robert Reynolds

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 21:54:26 -0600, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Robert Reynolds instead replied:

Your little tiny plastic pilot seems to have some serious problems today. How does he find time to fly?

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

Bob:

This is what I hoped to find in this hobby ..... passion. There is no substitute!

Harlan

Reply to
H Davis

Probably. Post em upon one of the web forums. People will pass them around, and if they have yor forum ID on them, some may even e-mail you to say 'thank you'

Thats as good a feeling as you will get!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Robert Reynolds wrote: The bomb dropper will handle three rolls

New, or used? :-)

Reply to
Geoff Sanders