Attention...Acknowledge if you agree...

That's it...We've had it... I've tried to keep up with all of the politics as well as opinions on RMR... some good... some not so good...but that's just it... It's 99.784329% opinions... everybody has one... Keeping track of who posts only shows that a few people seem to be really zealous in making theirs appear to be the only one... Right or wrong, what shows up here on this newsgroup is a tremendous amount of irresponsible crap that nobody really wants to scroll through... In the interest of the hobby of rocketry... my 10 year old son and I will no longer tolerate the petty bickering and snot nosed antics of this current RMR crowd. Come on... give us a break... you are all acting like second graders... This is a family hobby ( I've spent years prepping for)... We all know that mistakes have been made and that there there are legal issues (still on the table), but It seems to me that the most recent postings seem to be less interested in the future of rocketry and more inclined towards certain peoples personal agendas. There are hundreds (if not THOUSANDS) of young people with minds that require nuturing and support from those of us who really want to teach and mentor this wonderful hobby. I find it quite disgusting that they should have to wade through such trivial waste, in hopes of learning, or at least being pointed toward resources that might help them in their quest for knowledge... How about it people?

Reply to
Hippiestew

I suggest you check out some of the amateur radio forums, where the endless (morse) code/no-code debates and license restructuring debates make this look lightweight in comparison.

Reply to
jombi

I agree. The personal threats that have been made in some posts, have taken things way to far. I've been lurking in this forum for a while now, but can't stand to see the utter crap it has degenerated into. This is not the troll skippy/roo/jerry irvine group. It's rec.models.rockets for those of you that have forgotten.

Reply to
Jason

Yo Hipster,

I have several people in my kill file. I don't see most of the garbage because it's mainly eight people who spout the filth and politics.

I would suggest that everyday we post a message that says "If you are offended by the language, political content, national organization bashing and the "why me" cry babies then you should check out the Rocketry Online Forum, a moderated group which is really about rockets and not personal vendettas".

Hey, why don't we get the NAR to have a forum area. I know, someone will have to be a moderator, but there has to be someone with as much time as Jerry to waste.

Being in the broadcast business I am tired of the "censorship" issue and believe that everyone has the right to say what they want....and I have a right to ignore them.

So, with that pleasant thought...I'm going for breakfast.

John

Reply to
John Stein

Hehe ... yeah you should go to the Rush Limbaugh or Racial news groups ... hell there is much more crap in the Martha Stewart groups than this!

Look its sad that any of this has to happen, but the majority of the blame can be laid at the feet of one Skippy "the roo man" Irvine. He is mentally unbalance, a thief, an arsonist, and well the list goes on ... but I have know Jerry since the early days at Lucern back in the late 70's ... I have seen what this guys has done and gotten away with over and over and over again ... this too shall pass.

Like I said in an earlier post, I don't think Jerry is going to be around much any more ... no not a veiled threat ... buy Skippy dosen't have the capital to pay the fines ... so there may be some interesting visits from the Treasury department and the IRS that may solve our Skippy problem for us. I the mean time, we have to spread the history about Skippy. See he dupped alot of smart, but "street ignorant" people. Those days are coming to an end Skippy! They are coming to an end.

Reply to
Beatle Man

Have you seen the new burger King TV commercials???

Reply to
Fred Shecter

: )

Randy

Reply to
Randy

I agree. In another thread someone mentioned that all the real content discussion has moved to yahoo groups where special interests such as boost gliders and scale and kit cloning have found separate forums. This forum is the ghost town now of a once great civilization. All the respectable citizens have abandoned the inner-city with its political warlords and their gangs, the trolls that pop out of alleys, and the lone verbal thugs and street corner crazies claiming "The End is Near." They've moved to the virtual suburbs and it's a shame too, because this was a once a great centralized information center and now you have to browse a dozen or more groups to find the good stuff you want.

What am I doing here then? Slumming.

Scott McCrate NAR 71680

Reply to
Scott McCrate

Be careful, you might get stabbed! ;)

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

Let's see... this would be the relevant passage from the "Action on Appeal" document:

Treasury Department Collection. FAA's Financial Operations Division may also refer this debt and associated charges to the Department of the Treasury for collection. The Department of the Treasury may offset these amounts against any payment due Respondents.

So it sounds like if you owe them, they can take it out of your next several hundred years' tax refunds, but it's not a "JBGT's knocking on the door at midnight" scenario.

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

And it was good, too. A fresh, homemade buttermilk biscuit about the diameter of a saucer, and inside....a cheese omelet with two strips of hickory smoked bacon.

No wonder I'm gaining mass.

:-)

John

Reply to
John Stein

That's great! Are you bringing breakfast breakfast tomorrow? ; )

I'm heading out the door to the SEARS launch as soon as I send this. We'll probably stay the night in Opp. We're bringing 3 cameras, Spaceman Spiff's "Flying Rocket of Death" and Rocket Babe.

Randy

Reply to
Randy

Fantastic! Can't wait to see them.

Sorry about breakfast...Sherry only fixes them on Friday mornings. But if we should ever have a Friday launch...

John

Reply to
John Stein

I'll apologise in advance for this, Hippiestew. It's not meant to be a personal dig at you, but a general swipe at everybody that complains about usenet content...

I'm not quite sure what you expect from a newsgroup? They're certainly not places for unsupervised kids to roam [1]. You complain about the signal to noise ratio of the content, and I'll admit that r.m.r isn'r what it was, but, in an unmoderated group, there is little [2] to be done about noise. That leaves one solution to fix the s/n ratio - increase the signal!

Hippiestew, at the risk of making this personal again, I did a quick google, and you've make approximately 50 posts in the last four years, on average one per month. (Again, sorry for singling you out to make an example.) You see usenet's not meant to be a spectator sport. You can only expect to get out what you put in! If your not prepared to post good content, it's a bit rich to complain about others.

So the solution for all of us, is to make posts of the type you would want to see yourself. Tell us about your latest build, tell us about your latest launch, post questions when you need information and reply when you can answer the questions of others.

...and for those that come here and demand to be entertained and/or informed, while contributing nothing, and complaining when they don't get it:

Again, sorry for this alcohol & despair fuelled rant.

[1] If it is truly the lack of censorship that troubles you, then consider a moderated forum such as
but remember that it is effectively "owned" by the moderators, and if you don't see eye to eye, it's tough. [2] The power to accomplish what little there _is_ to be done about noise lies in your own hands! Get a decent news reader and learn how to configure it. Filter the posters and threads that you don't want to see.
Reply to
Darren J Longhorn

This should be in the FAQ.

More alcohol! More despair!

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I'm in full agreement Darren.

People, the "ignore" function (and it's equivalent in all other newsreaders) in all copies of the Agent newsreader has a distinct, and very useful purpose...

Use it folks... I did, and now I'm happier, healthier, drink much less during sessions with RMR, and have stopped screaming at the CRT.

The *absolute* best kind of rants, to boot!

Tod "Huh? Did Jerry say something?" Hilty

Reply to
hiltyt

Actually, the stuff Jerry posts can be pretty reasonable, compared to the posters trying to flame him all the time...

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

Agreed. I should've been a bit more specific. The function is "ignore thread". Very nice, as once a thread begins its power-dive south, I just set it to "ignore".

No muss, no fuss, easy cleanup!

tah

Reply to
hiltyt

Any pictures of the "Flying Rocket of Death"? :-)

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn

the SNR goes up dramatically if you use

to search on specific topics of interest.... and if you don't respond to JI's postings........

shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz