Attention...Acknowledge if you agree...

Absolut actually ;-)

Actually, Jerry _isn't_ in my kill file. Sadly, most of the threads he posts to are.

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn

Thanks.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

< SNIP >

Darren,

You made points in your message here that I think a lot of people miss. I agree with you entirely. I very seldom filter people unless their posts are entirely devoid of content. I do delete entire threads if they don't interest me. Often, I read them anyway just for my amusement. People who complain about the content though need to work harder to add to it. I find that some people exist to slam posters whether the content is valuable or not. Someone recently joined a forum and was dog piled without cause. It was in a moderated forum and the offending posts were either modified or removed. I've seen rmr run up and down the spectrum as far as s/n ratio goes. I have a lot of valuable saved messages from the past few years of watching it.

I like rmr AND TRF plus several other lists that I keep an eye on. Every one of them provides something and the messages I don't need can all be deleted with the click of a mouse.

BTW, my girlfriend always says to me, "Don't drink and post!" and she's often been right. However, in your case this time, I think you hit mark. :-)

Len Bryan

Reply to
Len Bryan

And, amusement is the keyword here. I don't know, maybe I'm twisted in some weird fashion, but some of the "political" threads are funnier than episodes of I Love Lucy!

Tod "Oh Rickeeeee!" Hilty

Reply to
hiltyt

Funniest damn thing I ever saw here was Jerry answering all 10 paragraphs of an automated complaint letter someone generated and posted here.

Sorry, Jerry, but you gotta admit, that WAS funny!

-Rich

snipped-for-privacy@we> And, amusement is the keyword here. I don't know, maybe I'm twisted

Reply to
Rich Pitzeruse

I'll take a camera to the launch and get a couple.

John

Reply to
John Stein

Vitaapcpmeatavegamin.

-Shread Vector NRA #1 Paramount Leader

Fred Shecter

Cool. Thanks.

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn

Seeing the way some folks on the TRA "Bored" actually write, I can forgive him for falling for that one!

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

I'll agree on the need for people to add content, only one problem. I've only been back into rocketry for a few months, and my experience prior to that was 17 years ago. My biggest complaint, and the reason I agree with the original poster, is what is a newbie supposed to think of this group and hobby? The first thing I noticed upon finding this group, was there was a major flame war occuring regarding one poster. There was still some valuable information, so I stuck it out and kept reading. In the last few days, that has changed. I realy dont think asking people to stay on topic, is censorship. I nor anyone else in this group, have the athority to remove or block posts. The only means of keeping things on topic is peer pressure. As this is my second post to this group, my ability to exert that pressure is pretty much non existent.

Reply to
Jason

You really don't HAVE to "wade through" anything on rmr or usenet. Even this version of Netscape has filters for authors and threads. Lately, mine eliminate about 70% of the posts. Real newsreaders are even more capable of filtering out the noise.

Never reply to a troll, no matter how stupid the post.

Generate some threads you are interested in; post it and they will come. Real content is only a few key clicks away. Anything with a subject line containing "glue", "finishing balsa", "analog vs digital", or "What is the best ..." will get the ball rolling. :)

It's interactive. Don't get frustrated if people aren't currently talking about what you want to hear. Just change the subject.

Most posters here would LOVE to talk rockets; anything in particular on your mind?

Reply to
Gary

Good advice, but hard to follow - I manage to delete most of the "screaming back at the trolls" posts I write before I send them, but I know I don't do a perfect job of that. Then there's the ones who flame _me_ for _not_ flaming Jerry... somehow _I_ seem to be able to engage him in relatively civil conversation on the internet...

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

Reply to
Phil Stein

If you don't use a real name, you're no better than any other troll. What are you hiding from?

Reply to
Phil Stein

Careful, Phil - our dear friend "Beatle Boy" thinks you're a member too.

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

Gary

That is a trap I have fallen into, thinking I could possibly inject a little reason. I really think the political discussion has value as we do need to be apprized of hoe goes the battle.

Silly boy

Sad part is, most of the people here know who is rational and who is just Jerry baiting. Unfortunately, even if you try to have a discussion with some you have grown to respect...out come the trolls.

I th>

Reply to
Al Gloer

I consider things on a case by case basis. That must go against some trolls like dung beatle.

Reply to
Phil Stein

Oh man, if I could stay away from political posts I'd have most of my current projects built and flying. ;)

I purposely didn't mention any particular topics; to each his own. It is just fairly easy to filter usenet, even with a browser, for content you are interested in.

Truthfully, I have received good answers to every "tech" question I've ever put out to rmr. People WILL respond, if you just ask.

Trolls? Well, they're everywhere on usenet. Sort of a "cost of doing business" in the unmoderated newsgroups. I just ignore them, though it took me a while to learn to consistently do that.

Reply to
Gary

I'm really a hypocritical "Do as I say, not as I do" advice giver. After thirty years of online comms, I STILL respond when I "shouldn't".

Jerry is, IMO, a rather, umm, eccentric individual with whom I could not maintain a "civil" discussion when our opinions differed. He will be a flame magnet on rmr for some time to come, I'm afraid.

Reply to
Gary

Nor in mine.

And, in the same vein as Mr. Talley's posts, I've got no bones to pick with you Jerry. Other than the few photos I've seen posted of you, frankly, I wouldn't know you from Adam. I've never bought from you, never been screwed by you, etc. Again, frankly and based on many, many postings I've read, you can be a really *huge* butthead at times, but at the same time, many of your OnT, or tech posts have been extremely informative.

I just tend to seperate the wheat from the chaff, both of which, to me, are relative to my terms...

That's really the beauty of Usenet...

FWIW..

tah

Reply to