Magnum vs. OS Max

I have mostly Max engines but I am thinking I would like a new .15. My Max 15 has lots of hours on it and it is on another model now and I hate to remove it for the Tripe I am building.

I looked at the new Max 15 and it has a needle valve at the crankcase cover, and though a good idea, I do not want the engine that far away from the firewall.

I see Tower has a Magnum 15...it also has an exhaust port I like...is anyone familiar with this engine for sport flying?

In another couple of days, it will be time to decide for the model.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Cashion

Ken,

I have 6 of the Magnum .15's. 4 of the XL and two of the newer XLS. The XLS weights .5 oz more than the XL. I have yet to run the XLS. These engines are dual ball bearing whereas the OS LA is a bushed engine. The fit and finish is very nice and it is cheaper that any competitor. The carburator is dual needle valve instead of the single needle airbleed type.

Reply to
WB4GUK

Ken,

I have 6 of the Magnum .15's. 4 of the XL and two of the newer XLS. The XLS weights .5 oz more than the XL. I have yet to run the XLS. These engines are dual ball bearing whereas the OS LA is a bushed engine. The fit and finish is very nice and it is cheaper that any competitor. The carburator is dual needle valve instead of the single needle airbleed type.

If you look around, there are still a few of the Enya and old Thunder Tiger .15 plain bearing engines with the slanted needle carburetors (no backplate mounted needle valve) available.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Thanks, guys. I have asked a bunch of other people and considered all and I decided that I didn't want the extra 2 oz. of the Magnum on the nose of the Tripe, and I didn't care for the required higher nitro content in the fuel which the Magnum seemed to prefer.

I have decided it would be best to reach in the nose of the other model, pop the clevis off the old Max 15 carb lever, pull the tubing off the needle valve and muffler, and reach in with a ball-end socket wrench and remove the three Allen screws in the engine mount and let it fall out in my hand.

That is the way I will mount it in the Tripe. And that is the way I will go for now.

Thanks again.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Cashion