Where is Bob Adkins?

Has anyone heard anything of Bob Adkins lately? I see Jerry Festa's posts here and there, even though he is now living in Arizona, but I haven't heard anything from Bob, one of the old rec.models.rc.air contributors. Where has everyone gone?

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

I'd guess that all the arguing over the AMA and other various subjects Kevin Kline and others got into kind of made rec.models.rc.air not so appealing.

I've noticed that a lot of people quit posting since then. Of course, peoples interests do change over time, and they get busy and the hobby falls by the wayside. And some of our more senior fellow modelers might have passed on.

We have a lot of new posters now, and their interests are more in electrics and park flyers which I have no experience with, so I rarely have anything to add to their posts. I do read them, so I am learning a little.

Reply to
Vance Howard

Yeah, lots moved to RC Groups and that other place where "free speech" is free as long as you say what they want. I know I did until I ran right up against moderators editing my posts.

Unfortunately I think many of the older folks with concerns about our hobby are getting burnt out by the stupidity demonstrated by the attackers, slackers, and folks unwilling to read much less do research. Mostly we just model and hope the new breed of checkbook modeler does not kill the hobby off or allow the AMA to crater.

Speaking of that, how many of you saw the new FAA comments re models and UAV's?

Jim

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

"Six_O'Clock_High" >> posts

Uh-oh...

What comments? Those are the folks that make me uncomfortable whenever they look in our direction. Glad you and others are still around, Jim.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 20:28:01 GMT, "Six_O'Clock_High"

Hey Jim -

Good to hear from you. I did see a post on RC Groups in reply to one of mine, but didn't have anthing to add in reply.

BTW, I think RCG is pretty good for a moderated group site - they seem to have a better system in place that prevents one dysfunctional censo-bot from wreaking havoc on a forum or the whole site as happens on RC Universe.

Re: the FAA position on models (as a subset of UAS) I don't see anything of consequence in their latest release-for-comment as far as affecting us. Basically reiterates that they will continue with a laizzez faire stance toward model flying, so long as we stay below/otherwise away from the airspace they are charged with regulating; the same policy in effect for decades and stated in AC

91-57. The real purpose of the latest epistle seem to correct some wording in the original release of UAS Policy 05-01 that led some commercial UA operators to think they could avoid regulation via the exception intended for recreational model flyers, i.e., conformance with AC 91-57.

Oh yeah, I miss Bob Adkins too - hope he turns up soon.

Abel

Reply to
Abel Pranger

Abel, you are mostly right. However, wait until you hear the other shoe drop! I suspect the 'certification' of UAS birds and their equipment will be a very complicated and expensive thing, just like any other STC or initial certification in general aviation.

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High