3D files locking up

I've never posted to this group, but thought I'd just shoot out this
problem that I've had recently with ACAD 2004 to see if anyone has come
across it. This has happened with some 3D files recently and the only
solution I've found is to open it up with Microstation to recover it,
which isn't a real good solution.
After saving a file, the next time you try and open it I get an error
message stating the following: INTERNAL ERROR: !dbqspace.h@410:
eOutOfRange
You can't recover it, you can't use the BAK file, and the .ac$ files
end up being a day old.
I'm about to get into it with Autodesk, but though I'd be lazy and try
with this group first. ;-)
Any help would be greatly appreciate.
Thanks
Cato