Dead Career - Drafting

We only use one view in our work. I usually create a base sheet that references whatever architectural drawings we have, locate whatever electrical, hvac, plumbing items needed. then setup mviews breaking up the larger base sheet into whatever I need at whatever plot scale is needed. I only edit the one view.

I've never had to do any dimensioning on our projects. I did when I worked for a injection molding co. but associated dimensions where very easy to update

I agree with the LOL

I just started building a little CNC wood router to do some wood carvings and look forward to seeing some 3D acad creations come to life in my work shop.

Reply to
Modat22

What program are you using for 3d generation?

Dan

Reply to
Dan Deckert

Not to long ago, you were arguing against 3D. Finally made the change, huh?

Reply to
CW

I am not surprised by the insulting replies of these posts why the CAD Drafter will always be in a catch 22 situation. Expected to "design" with no engineering education, or as some have mentioned, not even a Drafting degree!

I wouldn't be surprised if closed-minded engineers who always enjoy blaming the CAD operator for their lack of design skills made these posts. Every engineer needs a scapegoat. Why not the Drafter?

Drafters draw blueprints and engineers design them.

So you either train the Drafter or you end up having a huge company turnover in the CAD Department. Duhh! I thought companies were smarter than that.

I am not trying to be pejorative or overly snarky. I just feel that I have been in a catch 22 situation at every architectural or engineering firm. They always expect more than what my degree prepared me for.

You don't have to worry. I have been out of my field for two years. I have applied at over 20 engineering firms and get the same, "Can you design BS."

No one will train and no one gives a flying monkey's arse. They expect you to walk-in and do the engineers job for him/her.

I am sorry. I just feel that what engineering/architectural firms expect from the Drafter is unfair. I also think the schools are responsible for not preparing the students for the demands of the engineering firms.

I asked one Architect, "What type of education would it take to have me prepared enough to work for your company?"

He said, "I don?t know, but all I know is that we need a designer and we don't have time to train you."

Wow! If he didn't know then who does?

There is either the two-year Associate Degree Drafting courses or engineering courses.

What the Hell am I supposed to do to be good enough? I mean, I already went to school for two-years and a certified AutoCAD Drafting course?!! I am sorry but I think engineering firms are too damn picky and expect a rocket scientist for minimal pay.

My definition of Drafter/CAD Operator: Underpaid Engineer

My point: You cant squeeze blood from a turnip.

As one poster mentioned, what do I have to accomplish?

I dont know, but I was filling out an application for McDonalds while putting on the application that I have a two-year Associate Degree.

And for the smart asses, I do take pride in my work and did my best, but it wasn't good enough. They wanted engineers/architects.

The engineers and architects love to whine and moan about not finding good CAD Opereators. Have they ever considered that their standards may be too high and that the fact that they wont train is the issue.

Hell, I forgot, everyone needs a scapegoat.

Reply to
zion9

For your information: I am drug free and have no criminal record.

If you are worried about potheads then start having drug tests.

And what someone does in his or her personal life is none of your business as long as it is within the laws of the land.

Unless you?re an intolerant religious or sports fanatic who expects everyone to be exactly like you.

It is about whether or not an employee can do the job or not.

Remember: Equal Opportunity Employer

Wait, that is a myth. ;-)

Reply to
zion9

I notice that you use the pejorative term "cad jockeys".

I am a ?professional? and my title is "Drafter" or "CAD Operator". I am not just another burger flipper in your engineering firm. I have a degree if you can even give me enough respect to acknowledge that fact.

I call you an "engineer" and "Sir". Not a big "engineer jerk" or "asshole architect".

This is another issue I have seen in all engineering offices.

LACK OF RESPECT

You gripe about wanting a team environment but don?t have enough respect to call someone by their appropriate title.

How immature.

I am a Drafter not a cad jockey.

Now quit pointing fingers and see if you?re the one who has the problem.

Reply to
zion9

Someone trained you. You have experience. New Drafters are not given chances like you had in the past.

What are engineers/architects going to do when all of the old school "trained" Drafters die?

You can?t gain experience unless you are trained and allowed to acquire experience.

When will the logic of these concepts ever compute with today's companies?

Looks like the engineer will be getting to do ALL of the CAD work. ;-)

Then they will be moaning and groaning and asking why they are stuck working such long hours.

Reply to
zion9

True very true. No one will train and you have to be like the Bewitched show and wiggle your nose to get instant Bachelors degree knowledge with only a two-year CAD Drafting degree.

I guess the engineers want to do it all him or herself or something. :-P

You don?t throw a baby in a swimming pool and tell it to swim!

When will the logic ever sink in???

Stop blaming the Drafter for lack of willingness to train! Duhh!

Reply to
zion9

What he's telling you is that the degree doesn't matter. The intelligence does. One of the best designers I've worked for has a technologist's diploma from a technical school. He's making a whack of money. No degree is no meal ticket.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Often a company's turnover reflects a company's attitude towards its employees.

Not implying that you are, but I have learned one thing working for a know-it-all-jerk -- nothing you do is ever good enough.

If you cant "pick it up" in less than 90 days then they toss you out the back door.

Usually, they are the one's who hold you back by expecting you to read their minds.

Communication is everything. Yes, even for the glorious engineer who knows all.

Reply to
zion9

I never said anything different.

I wouldn't bother with that. If a guy gets high at home, but is scrupulous at work I could care less. If a guy's life target is a joint and a bottle of beer, I wouldn't hire him. He's a loser, and bad things happen to people who keep losers around.

Niether. I expect professionals to be zealous, though.

It's about Pride.

That's something else again.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

I used pejorative language in reference to people who I think deserve it. I did not call you anything. You may be a perfectly professional guy. These guys were cad jockeys.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

I suspect that was meant to be an insult.

I did take pride in my work and was on the honor role at my Technical College. Guess What? Still not good enough for them!

Reply to
zion9

Makes you feel REAL SAFE when standing in a building designed by a Drafter. ;-P

Reply to
zion9

It would seem that you have proven that you can't.

Reply to
CW

Clue: having a degree in ANYTHING does not make you an expert or even qualified for a job. It makes you a qualified beginner. It shows that you have had instruction in the basics and are now ready to learn in the workplace.

Reply to
CW

Waa, Waaa, Waa.

Reply to
CW

No, just a bunch of guys who draw lines for a living.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Dunno what to tell ya man... I started out on a drafting board, with a 2 year degree in Mechanical Technology. I progressed from the board to the computer, and am now titled as "senior designer". I design parts, from engineers direction, they tell me the requirements, I model the part(s).

We still have cad detailers, those that haven't developed the modeling skills yet, or just don't have the designer knack. They take my models, and detail them.

Reply to
LoneGunman