Dead Career - Drafting

SimonLW wrote:

I notice that you use the pejorative term "cad jockeys".
I am a professional and my title is "Drafter" or "CAD Operator". I am not just another burger flipper in your engineering firm. I have a degree if you can even give me enough respect to acknowledge that fact.
I call you an "engineer" and "Sir". Not a big "engineer jerk" or "asshole architect".
This is another issue I have seen in all engineering offices.
LACK OF RESPECT
You gripe about wanting a team environment but dont have enough respect to call someone by their appropriate title.
How immature.
I am a Drafter not a cad jockey.
Now quit pointing fingers and see if youre the one who has the problem.

I used pejorative language in reference to people who I think deserve it. I did not call you anything. You may be a perfectly professional guy. These guys were cad jockeys.
No, just a bunch of guys who draw lines for a living.

Michael Bulatovich wrote:

JERK!

Clue: having a degree in ANYTHING does not make you an expert or even qualified for a job. It makes you a qualified beginner. It shows that you have had instruction in the basics and are now ready to learn in the workplace.
CW wrote:

Good luck on getting training (learning)! Jerk.
SNIP

Ah, you are working with a teenagers mentality. "How Immature" is a favorite amoung teenagers.
Leon wrote:

Smart Jerk.
SimonLW wrote:

Makes you feel REAL SAFE when standing in a building designed by a Drafter. ;-P
Michael Bulatovich wrote:

For your information: I am drug free and have no criminal record.
If you are worried about potheads then start having drug tests.
And what someone does in his or her personal life is none of your business as long as it is within the laws of the land.
Unless youre an intolerant religious or sports fanatic who expects everyone to be exactly like you.
It is about whether or not an employee can do the job or not.
Remember: Equal Opportunity Employer
Wait, that is a myth. ;-)

I never said anything different.

I wouldn't bother with that. If a guy gets high at home, but is scrupulous at work I could care less. If a guy's life target is a joint and a bottle of beer, I wouldn't hire him. He's a loser, and bad things happen to people who keep losers around.

Niether. I expect professionals to be zealous, though.

It's about Pride.

That's something else again.

It would seem that you have proven that you can't.
Longshot wrote:

I suspect that was meant to be an insult.
I did take pride in my work and was on the honor role at my Technical College. Guess What? Still not good enough for them!

great.. it doesnt mean you have a mechanical aptitude or any sense at all, it means you have good study habits & thats about it. either you cant cut it or you live in an area where there just arent any jobs. you;d have to relocate to figure out which it is. of course you know that because you are so smart. oh but wait. you have no job.. perhaps you are not as smart as you think.
Longshot wrote:

You are a jerk and I do have a job.
Sure sounds like the rantings of someone that just couldn't cut it.

I guess I'm luck then, I've been working as a drafter for 15 years, switched my employer 3 times and my 2nd employer begged and paid me to return.
I haven't had many good experiences with new drafters coming out of school. So far we've gone thru 6 over the last 2 years. The problems we usually have are bad work habits (tardiness, taking off sick often, and not being very motivated), also most want to argue how a job is to be done and not wanting to follow company drafting methods.
So basically in a nut shell, we won't hire a fresh drafter anymore. There are too many drafter / designers out of work willing to actually work.

Someone trained you. You have experience. New Drafters are not given chances like you had in the past.
What are engineers/architects going to do when all of the old school "trained" Drafters die?
You cant gain experience unless you are trained and allowed to acquire experience.
When will the logic of these concepts ever compute with today's companies?
Looks like the engineer will be getting to do ALL of the CAD work. ;-)
Then they will be moaning and groaning and asking why they are stuck working such long hours.
zion9 wrote:

Often a company's turnover reflects a company's attitude towards its employees.
Not implying that you are, but I have learned one thing working for a know-it-all-jerk -- nothing you do is ever good enough.
If you cant "pick it up" in less than 90 days then they toss you out the back door.
Usually, they are the one's who hold you back by expecting you to read their minds.
Communication is everything. Yes, even for the glorious engineer who knows all.
Waa, Waaa, Waa.