How to place dimensions?

Where do you place your dimensions? Until a while ago I've been placing the
dimensions in model
space on a separate layer but meanwhile I've started placing them on the layout
in paper space. I
believe both methods are good enough although they have their issues and take
their fair share of
time to set up. But is there a better way to do this?
So, how do you place your dimensions and what advantages do you get from your
following your way of
doing things?
Thanks in advance,
Rui Maciel