Problem with text/dimension/line scale

I've just started using autocad to do semi-serious work and I've stumbled on a very annoying problem.
When I start a new drawing I setup the units and define the limits and then
I draw whatever I need to draw. When I need to add text, dimensions and even use some line types, those drawing elements generally appear off-scale. As I usually draw diagrams that are in the [0.5, 50] meter range, all other scalable drawing elements end up huge.
I end up fixing that problem by re-dimensioning things like text sizes, arrow heads and the like, all by hand. Nonetheless, that doesn't seem right to me. Isn't there a way to set the size of all scalable elements in a single place? Some sort of scale constant that affects the scale of all scale-dependent drawing elements like text size, dimension text size and line types.
Thanks in advance Rui Maciel

Do your dimensioning in paper space.
Bob
sycochkn wrote:

I've gave it a try and indeed that was exactly what I was looking for. Really great stuff! Kudos!
Once again thanks! Rui Maciel

Also, experiment with the PSLTSCALE system variable. If you scale viewports other than 1:1, you may want to at least see what happens to linetypes when you set it to 1.
Bill DeShawn http://my.sterling.net/~bdeshawn

Dimension entity parameters are defined in 'dimension styles'. You set up these styles for various kinds of situations ( like, say, plotting scale), pick the right style for a task, and then dimension. Dimensioning first, then editing each dimension's characteristics is backwards and very unproductive. Look in the help file for 'dimension style'.
Like in most things in CAD, you do a bit of work up front to get a big boost later.
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca

You may need to read the help and tutorials on setting up text and dimension styles. The sizes and scale are determined by the styles and how they are set up. This functionality also differs depending on the version you are using. Dimensioning in paper space is not always the correct way to control dimension scale. Dimensions and text are usually best done in model space and controlled by the styles.
Daryl

If you want the text sizes to change with the scale you plot at dimension in model space if you want the lt scale and text sizes to remain constant with different plot sizes then dimension in paper space.
Bob
Set up your text styles first. The command is "DDSTYLE". Then you should set up your dimensioning parameters next. That command is "DDIM".
In our office we have text styles set up for 1/8" & 1/4". If we need more we create as we go along. The same goes for dimension styles.
It truly saves us much time to have these created and available for use.
Janice
PS: I dimension in Model Space. That way any changes to the drawing automatically change the dimensions. For me it's easier that way.
Rui Maciel wrote:

I see.
Well, first It's helpful to know what discipline you're working in to get an idea of paper size and the kind of detailing you're going to be adding to your drawings. Have you created a title block, and if so, for what sizes of paper? It's a good idea to create a list of plotting scales that you are going to be comfortable with using, and that those with whom you consult will also be comfortable with. If your plotting scale is 1:30, then your DIMSCALE should be 30:1. One should be the reciprocal of the other. The size of the text in dimensions should be exactly what you expect to see on the paper. So, as an example, if you want 6mm high text, and your drawing is set up for 1 unit = 1mm, then set DIMTXT to be 6. Since DIMSCALE is set to 30, actual text size in the DWG file will be 180mm, but will plot at 6mm, because this drawing will be plotted at 1/30 actual size. Making the rest of your text match, you should make the height of those text objects 180mm. They will also plot at 6mm high.
(No translation nec.) :)