Layers Button/ Layer command doesn't launch dialogue

Help...clicking on the Layer button or using the layer command does not open the layer dialogue box; it produces beeps on any click until I use
the escape key. What gives?
Thanks!
I'm an idiot...sorry. The layers dialogue was popping up on my now detached external monitor ( even though I set it back to one monitor acad still tried to put it off on the other monitor; had to attach the monitor again, activate it, drag the window back to the main screen, deactivate monitor, etc.). Sorry, thanks...