LTSCALE AND PSLTSCALE

What is the most common practice for ltscale and psltscale settings?

I know of 2 schools of thought.

The fisrt one is to set ltscale to a mid range number like 48 Then set psltscale to 0. The line weights dont all appear as the same exact dash size in different scaled view ports. But they are close enough and you can see the dashes when working in model space.

The second school of thought is to set the ltscale to

1 and psltscale to 1. Then it doesnt matter what what size the view ports are they can all show the exact same dased size in all the view ports. But when working in model space you dont see any dashed lines.

What do you know to be the most common approach? What approach do you use?

Reply to
fujka

It's not an "either/or" situation. You can set your LT to 48 AND PSLT to 1. Are you working in inches?

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Reply to
fujka

Your preferred LTSCALE gives that away : )

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

It depends on whether or not you want to have all of your non-CONTINUOUS lines appear identically in viewports with differing scales. If so, PSLTSCALE=1, LTSCALE a small value; if not, PSLTSCALE=0 and LTSCALE = your Paper Space value. ___

Reply to
Paul Turvill

Reply to
fujka

I have no idea. My *preference* is PSLTSCALE = 1, LTSCALE = 0.33, and that's what I use; I couldn't care less what the "most common practice" is, since my drawings are meant to please *me* and *my clients.* ___

Reply to
Paul Turvill

LTSCALE=35, PSLTSCALE=1

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Reply to
fujka

When you switch to model space, you must change LTSCALE back to a larger value. Most experienced users use LISP routines to handle such housekeeping. ___

Reply to
Paul Turvill

Reply to
fujka

OK, Paul. Now you have me peaked. Why do you have your LTSCALE set to something that looks good in PS but not in MS?

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Because that's the way it works with PSLTSCALE set to 1. If your viewports are scaled to, say, 1:48 or 1:96, then it's convenient to work in Model Space set to larger value (we use 16 and 32 for what will be plotted at 1:48 and 1:96, respectively). When you switch to a layout (Paper Space), and if your layouts are set up to plot at 1:1, then your scaled viewports will correctly reflect identical-appearing linetypes with PSLTSCALE=1 and LTSCALE set to a small value; as I said we use 1/3 or 0.33.

If you're getting different results, then I don't know what you might be doing thats different, unless you're not plotting your layouts at 1:1. ___

Reply to
Paul Turvill

I got about 10 years working on Autocad software, so not as many as some, but more than others and every place i have worked, i have talked into setting PSLTSCALE to 1 and LTSCALE to 1 as well, and then locking your viewport and working through to floating model space, you can zoom and pan and do all the things you need to do and you never have to 'SET' your line type scaling again. or forget to change it back when you come out of model space and plot with it set wrong so everything shows up as a solid line.

Just my .02 worth.

Reply to
JOE

It's all personal preference. Set you LTSCALE to whatever you want. Always keep The PSLTSCALE at 1. When you plot, the scale of you drawing (and the lines) should be dictated by the sale of the mode space viewport, so when you plot from paperspace, you are alway plotting at a 1:1 scale. If you are not getting the same lines in MS as in PS viewport, yo have to turn on Linetype generation. That's all, there's no need t go around your elbow to get to your a*

Reply to
hufdaddy

Reply to
fujka

It's part of the PEDIT command. HELP should, well, help you figure it out. ___

Reply to
Paul Turvill

There's also the PLINEGEN variable (one of those system variables whose name is also a command)... ___

Reply to
Paul Turvill

Reply to
fujka

Yes. AutoCAD can't correct anyone's errors or oversights by itself. ___

Reply to
Paul Turvill