Plotters w/ v2002

I am finding that the plotter being saved within the drawing is a big pain in the neck. We are running AutoCAD 2002. I have Windows XP (home edition) and my boss has Windows 98 SE. Since we have different operating systems we cannot have the same name for the printer. Mine wants a slash in the name and his can't have. (or visa versa, I'm not sure) Has anyone else found a fix for this problem? I am constantly getting flack over this, and would like to fix it if I knew how. Every time one of us goes to print it is set to the other one. About ready to switch to solid works.

Thanks, Smoky at Smoky Forge

Reply to
Smoky Forge

I agree, same grief here with printer/plotter names not staying same, and even when names are the same for same printer the margins vary with OS... ..grrrrrr ron, no solution found yet tho....

Reply to
Ron McNeil

If you have the plotter hook up to the machine with xp on lpt1 and share it, then network configure the win98 to plot throught network printer throught the rooter or hub it should work.

Regards

Robert

Reply to
Robert

The way we solved it: create printers on each machine with the same logical name (like: plotter or printer1 or hp1050). Create PC3 files for each printer/plotter for each OS and give them the same name. Put these PC3 files in different folders like: 98printer and xpprinters, you can add/modify these folders in: Tools-options-files-printer support file path-printer configuration search path. (it might be smart to create a profile for 98 and XP)

This way it makes no difference who loads the drawing to plot, the plotter/printer name is always the same. The used PC3 file is also 'named' the same, it is only loaded from a different folder for a different OS. Works fine for us ( we have a mix of 98, XP and NT machines)

Jan

"Smoky Forge" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Reply to
JP

Yahooo!

This really works and I am out of the doghouse. Each time my boss opened a drawing that I had saved my printer information in, I heard about it. Now that won't happen anymore.

Just created an AutoCAD printer file with the same name on each computer that needed to use ACAD, all with the same name and THIS WORKS!.!

Thanks again, Smoky

Reply to
Smoky Forge

Glad to be of any help. Goodluck.