Plotting from Autocad 2005 to HP 650c

Have been wrestling with this problem for several weeks.
I go to plot a file and the partial preview shows everything in proper
prospective in relation to "Portrait/Landscape" but the full preview does not show the proper perspective and it plots per the full preview picture.
The drawing is made horizontal with size about 12" by 34". I want to print it on 24" wide roll paper.
Thought I could just change the mode to Portrait and the plotter would flip the image 90 degrees and print.
Doesn't happen.
Anyone have any ideas where my settings may be wrong?
The two talk to each other on everything else, so far, except this one item.
Maybe I am asking for the impossible. The drawings would be difficult to make in vertical position.
Any ideas would be very much appreciated.
you may need to change your PAPER size in the print dialog box so that you are sending it to 'portrait' paper
hth
Brian

item.
Thanks Brian,
I tried that and the drawing still prints horizontal and cuts off half of the drawing.
I may be trying to do something that is not possible in autocad. dunno.
Thanks