Viewing objects in a template

I created a new drawing with a custom layout template (one AutoCAD provides). Then I drew a simple object in Model space. Problem is, when I
double click the viewport on the template layout, I can't see my object created in Model space. How do you view it? I think the problem was it was off the page of view the viewport windowed. But, I could not pan around to get the object in view. Can anyone tell me how I can get it in view? Brian
Z enter, E enter

was

that is Zoom > Extents, by the way...