Machining Tips!

I remember your original posts and some others about a similar product that I was not able to quickly find in a search.

Tom

Reply to
brewertr

Jon,

It's not plagiarism if you credit the original source!

What you posted is just a variation of something you learned else ware.

(sept. 30, 1999)

(oct. 4, 1999)

"Original thought is overrated. " - Jon Banquer - May 12, 2007

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." - Jon Banquer - May 12, 2007

Tom

Reply to
brewertr

But it is if you don't. Are you surprised Tom?

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Tom:

Here's a post I made in March of 2000:

Subject: Test of Technigrip AKA Mr. Clampy =============================================================== To All:

Ray Speltz of Technigrip (Mr. Clampy) fame, was kind enough to send me a small Mr. Clampy around Christmas. I've been meaning to try it out but the opportunity hasn't presented itself so I went to work today to play with it. Sorry for the delay Ray. Just so everyone else will know what I'm talking about you can see a much longer edition of Mr. Clampy at this address:

The one Ray sent me was 5" long by about 3" wide. You have to prepare your part with two .500 dia. X .125 deep holes 4.125" apart, or

1.375" apart if you use the other holes, as well as put a couple of 60 degree dovetails .125 deep on your part so the dovetail grippers can....well GRIP. For this test I started out with a 5" X 5" X 1 1/2 block of 6061, prepared the bottom and mounted it to the Mr. Clampy. Then I put the Mr. Clampy in a 6" Kurt vise (you can also clamp Mr. Clampy directly to the table). This was basically a test to see if the Mr. Clampy could hold a part under adverse machining conditions. I used a 3/4 dia. three flute inserted end mill and decided to cut from the outside in using 75% of the cutter width. I started with .200 depth of cut and a programmed 10,000 rpm at 250 IPM (max speed and feed of our Fadal 40/20). With the feed and speed override dials set to 50% of programmed numbers I hit the start button. I was afraid first contact might spit the part right off the Mr. Clampy but it didn't, so I increased the feed and speed to the programmed numbers. After taking two levels of .200 DOC passes with no problem and the horsepower load gage not quite pegged I programmed another pass at .300 DOC. The machine did it but it didn't like it since you could hear it starting to bog the motor. I stopped after this since I figured the Mr. Clampy passed the test so there was no reason for me to unnecessarily beat up the Fadal. So in conclusion I would say this Mr. Clampy (Technigrip) does an admirable job of holding the part under severe conditions, at least what passes for severe for our Fadals. Here is where I wish I had one of those 100 HP mills Hamei was talking about. :) Before AND after the test I ran a tenth indicator over the top of the Mr. Clampy. There was no change of the .0005 TIR, so it didn't distort like I thought it might. Between this and the spot drill thing I was a testing fool today. Hey, am I on topic or what? If this keeps up I may lose my official standing in the off topic trolling club. LOL ===============================================================
Reply to
BottleBob

First Machining Tip Added To The Jon Banquer Blog.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

jon_banquer

I normally dont get involved in these things anymore and mean no offence to Jon but on reading his blog it sounds to me like a fairly good method provided the objective is that of reliably launching plastic plastic workpieces out of the machine vise.

Jon suggest rethink and perhaps remove that particular tip of gripping only upon a .030 deep portion of work and generating shear with the dove ( rather than pure compressive forces )--rather poor and unreliable workholding practice, especially where the soft or highly malleable materials are concerned....hopefully no one will actually try this and so end up causing themselves or others to suffer personal injury or property damage.

Reply to
over a barrel

messagenews:Dn9ek.17594$ snipped-for-privacy@flpi146.ffdc.sbc.com...

Do it all the time with great success, Sam. The teeth I describe that I mill in the dovetail penetrate the plastic and hold it so it doesn't move.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

jon_banquer

Yes Jon did surprise me a little by posting something easy to prove he plagiarized.

If Jon posted crib notes or parroted solving triangles without crediting the source that's one thing. However to represent easy to prove prior art as "his" first machining tip, that did surprise me a little.

Every time I think Jon Banquer can't be that stupid he proves me wrong.

Tom

Reply to
brewertr

First Machining Tip Added To The Jon Banquer Blog.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

jon_banquer

How does this marring a blank save you time because you "don't want to machine two sides parallel" as you claim in your OP?

Don't you now have to machine off (clean up) where your jaws penetrated the plastic blank you are machining?

Tom

Reply to
brewertr

First Machining Tip Added To The Jon Banquer Blog.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

jon_banquer

Well Tom, you obviously forgot to factor in Jon's insanity.

Uh Oh. I'll bet Jon will now add this to his idiotic "Ignorant" response, not being able to understand the difference.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

First Machining Tip Added To The Jon Banquer Blog.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

larryrozer

Well Tom, you obviously forgot to factor in Jon's insanity.

Uh Oh. I'll bet Jon will now add this to his idiotic "Ignorant" response, not being able to understand the difference.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

First Machining Tip Added To The Jon Banquer Blog.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

larryrozer

First Machining Tip Added To The Jon Banquer Blog.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

jon_banquer

Fer christs sakes jonnie. How about puttin up a machining tip that someone beyond a 1st year machinist hasn't used. Where'd you find this one? At the local vocational school? I've been doin crap like that since the early 70's. Of course not in the stupid way you described but lets just say....similar operations and leave it at that. What's your next tip....how to drill a hole? How about tellin us how to cut a keyway?

Damn dude.....your inexperience is showin. Do yourself a favor and burn those "3 Ring Binders" before you embarrass yourself further. I knew this was gonna be comical but I never expected this type of hilarity. Pleeeeeeaaaase keep postin your amateur tips. I can use the laugh.

Barn

Reply to
barn_rubble

First Machining Tip Added To The Jon Banquer Blog.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

jon_banquer

FYP.....You're welcome

Reply to