Machining Tips!

On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 22:34:09 -0700 (PDT), jon_banquer
Plagiarized

The only way tips work is if there's different classifications. So when you read one it says, novice, expert, etc... And there has to be butloads of them.
I would suggest a revolving evolving system for the blog. Say for a month it's wire edm. Then the next month it's cnc lathe. Of course easy acces to all archives in the main blog from previous months.. It would take some work to dig up stuff for a month on 1 subject, and get some basic, medium, advanced, etc...
But if done well...I know a few magazines that would pick it up for a monthly article. Plus people would love to contribute/ I know I would love to dig up stuff from that months piece of tooling or process. Frig, If I didnt think blogging was so gay Id do it myself. lol
But I'd love to contribute to something like that.
Of course...For each tip, there needs some kind of format setup to show " related" tips. Tips where people said,,,,thats cool, but if you do such and such it would work better.
He could coin the phrase "tip tweaking".
lol
hmmmm, brings up a question? When using 5 axis, would you tip it on one angle...rough...slightly tip it more...finish pass? Or do people buy 5 axis stuff and cut it in the top plane. (sarcasm added)
First Machining Tip Added To The Jon Banquer Blog.
vinny wrote:

I made some faceplates for a high end audio company, with grooves milled across the front with a 1" ball end mill. I did the slots on my manual, tipping the head about 10 degrees. I was amazed how nice the grooves came out!
Lost the job to another shop that came in lower. Probably not taking the time to do what I did. Probably explains the ugly stripe down the center of the grooves they machined....
Jon

I've milled many faceplates for Krell, a high-end audio company located in Milford, CT. I did them on Bridgeport CNC machining centers because to do it on manual mills would have been cost prohibitive. BobCRAP wasn't used to program Krell's stuff because it also would have been cost prohibitive and the owner was smart enough to buy a much better CADCAM solution.
On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 05:50:49 -0700 (PDT), jon_banquer

New buzzword alert:
Plagiarism and/or Infringement is now "Freely Given".