Machining Tips!

Why don't you go work for someone that can afford to buy a thicker piece of plastic for you to start with, so you don't have to waste 10 minutes scarfing up a set of aluminum jaws?

Or... just double back tape some 80 grit sandpaper to the jaw faces....

Jon (the other one)

Reply to
Jon Anderson

Cool.....is this a tips thread? I frigen love tips and tricks threads!!! I hope this goes on forever!!!!!

I got one.

If your machining a large semi flat surface in any materials...say like the bottom of a tupperwear bowl, or the faceplace from a printer, etc... somthing semi flat, something semi large. When you do your ball mill work, put it on an angle, say 5 degrees. maybe set it on a magnetic sine plate? Whatever. Just get it tipped accurately. Use your noggin. Get it tipped on a slight angle. In the cam system tip the model your cutting, or tip the path you made on the same angle. use a sharp corners for the XYZ references. The stuff will look like it was polished from cutting on the non center part of the ball mills, and your tools wont wear. It's super easy if you have some kind of sine plate and a cam system. If you lack either of the 2 ....nevermind.

Of course of you have 5 axis nevermind you spoiled #*(&^#^&@%@!! lol

hmmmm, brings up a question? When using 5 axis, would you tip it on one angle...rough...slightly tip it more...finish pass? Or do people buy 5 axis stuff and cut it in the top plane. (sarcasm added)

Reply to
vinny

The only way tips work is if there's different classifications. So when you read one it says, novice, expert, etc... And there has to be butloads of them.

I would suggest a revolving evolving system for the blog. Say for a month it's wire edm. Then the next month it's cnc lathe. Of course easy acces to all archives in the main blog from previous months.. It would take some work to dig up stuff for a month on 1 subject, and get some basic, medium, advanced, etc...

But if done well...I know a few magazines that would pick it up for a monthly article. Plus people would love to contribute/ I know I would love to dig up stuff from that months piece of tooling or process. Frig, If I didnt think blogging was so gay Id do it myself. lol

But I'd love to contribute to something like that.

Of course...For each tip, there needs some kind of format setup to show " related" tips. Tips where people said,,,,thats cool, but if you do such and such it would work better.

He could coin the phrase "tip tweaking".

Reply to
vinny

First Machining Tip Added To The Jon Banquer Blog.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

jon_banquer

I've milled many faceplates for Krell, a high-end audio company located in Milford, CT. I did them on Bridgeport CNC machining centers because to do it on manual mills would have been cost prohibitive. BobCRAP wasn't used to program Krell's stuff because it also would have been cost prohibitive and the owner was smart enough to buy a much better CADCAM solution.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

jon_banquer

I made some faceplates for a high end audio company, with grooves milled across the front with a 1" ball end mill. I did the slots on my manual, tipping the head about 10 degrees. I was amazed how nice the grooves came out!

Lost the job to another shop that came in lower. Probably not taking the time to do what I did. Probably explains the ugly stripe down the center of the grooves they machined....

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

New buzzword alert:

Plagiarism and/or Infringement is now "Freely Given".

Reply to
brewertr