Mastercam users...a challange...

Mastercam can do anything....and that might be true.

How about this...You have a pocket...there's .005 on the walls, .005 on the floor. Can mastercam spiral down the walls till you hit the floor and then pocket the floor with one op. If it takes 2 ops....pffft.

Reply to
vinny

Dynamic pocket with a chain selected for the entry profile should do it. I've never done it though.

Reply to
Joe788

V9 can. Have Max rough step in depth cuts something big, tick keep tool down. In Roughing tab pick Entry-helix, big value for roughing stepover, have finish keep tool down.

Then if you do that often right click on the pocket cycle and save it to library. Next time you need it you pick the chain and that's it.

DanP

Reply to
DanP

V9 can. Have Max rough step in depth cuts something big, tick keep tool down. In Roughing tab pick Entry-helix, big value for roughing stepover, have finish keep tool down.

Then if you do that often right click on the pocket cycle and save it to library. Next time you need it you pick the chain and that's it.

DanP

*********

I'm not sure that does what I'm looking for unless I don't understand ya. Lets say I have a pocket with .005 on the walls and .03 on the floor, and its like 60 rockwell. The two op method is to use contour with ramp and spiral down the walls till you get .03 from the bottom, then go into the second op...a pocket to pocket the .03 out and finish the floor. It just seems so common I feel there might be a one step method.

in another reply I was told to use dynamic pocket. Guess I'll be reading the help files later.

Reply to
vinny

A picture is worth a thousand words:

The helix cut down the walls does not cut to size. If you want to cut to (nearly) size then make finish pass spacing a very low value. You will not be able to use cutter comp on the helix with this cycle, only on the finish pass at final depth, so flute of the tool has to be taller than the pocket if you use cutter comp.

I do not see "dynamic pocket" in this thread. I have mentioned morph in a previous reply, can do a snapshot of that if you want.

DanP

Reply to
DanP

A picture is worth a thousand words:

The helix cut down the walls does not cut to size. If you want to cut to (nearly) size then make finish pass spacing a very low value. You will not be able to use cutter comp on the helix with this cycle, only on the finish pass at final depth, so flute of the tool has to be taller than the pocket if you use cutter comp.

I do not see "dynamic pocket" in this thread. I have mentioned morph in a previous reply, can do a snapshot of that if you want.

DanP

*********** That's a round pocket. Not fair. You used the leadin as the cut. The best I could come up with was making a 2 op cut, and saving it called V-POCKET. The first op is a contour with ramp so it will spiral the walls...with cutter comp. Put the actual amount of stock on the floor in the "stock to leave on floor". The second op is a pocket cut, pocketing the floor with cutter comp. Workes perfect, but I still think it should be built into the pocket gimmic. It's got to be common as it gets?
Reply to
vinny

As you quickly found out... one would never in good machining practice finish a pocket in such a manner. In most airframe work (and I would think most other applications): Rough, semi-finish all. Then finish the floor (staying away from the wall). Last, finish the wall staying say .002 above the floor. Now if the walls are very tall in relation to the cutter then it's finishing on the way down - still staying off the floor.

-- Bill

Reply to
Bill

As you quickly found out... one would never in good machining practice finish a pocket in such a manner. In most airframe work (and I would think most other applications): Rough, semi-finish all. Then finish the floor (staying away from the wall). Last, finish the wall staying say .002 above the floor. Now if the walls are very tall in relation to the cutter then it's finishing on the way down - still staying off the floor.

-- Bill

****** The thing i was pocketing was 54rc. In this case I would spiral down finishing and when it pockets the floor leave .0005 in the leave stock gimmick. This is happening at 50-100ipm, making a perfect pocket at any depth. Turns it into a lathe op kinda. Cutters last forever.
Reply to
vinny

005 on the

en pocket

Reply to
benniepaxton12301981

new to mastercam but have been machining for a while. having issues with mastercam shutting down when i try a pocket rough toolpath or even finishing toolpaths. It hadn't been and was woundering if its my computer or something i doing wrong in mastercam.

Reply to
benniepaxton12301981