spooling?, pgl, hermes is400v and m40

hello,

I've been reading the topics on this message group and I've learned alot. and now I have a question.

I a new guy in the IT dept of a company the prints and engraves on multiple types of machines. Our Engraving machines are hermes is400v, a new m40, a really old dos based one, and even a Hand engraving machine for some of our items that don't fit in the other machines.(that things is a beast to use) Well here is my problem, on our printing machines like Riso's and a few others, we can Queue work in a spool file for each printer, our prepress dept takes care of the pdf,eps files, and the printer operators just do their job and print. But in the engraving dept, the operator has to manualy type in the information of each order. this takes time and causes errors, which are expensive. and engraving is always a day or so behind other depts. which as you can imagine slows orders from shipping. We are using the Hermes software Gravostyle 98 on the is400 and the new on has the gravo' quick' click.

What I'm wondering: Is there a way to create a spool file type setup with at least one of these machines, I'm thinking the is400 from what I've read it takes hpgl data, I'm sure the m40 can also. If I could create a spool file, our prepress dept can create the files to engrave and the engravers can just do engraving all day.

I'm new to engraving systems, and I'm learning alot. so any help would be much appretiated.

Thank you all for your time in just reading this. any response that points me to new software or ideas would be great. , Kristofer Olafsson.

Reply to
KristoferOlafsson