Spotting Different Sized Holes With One Tool Should Be Done...

so just one operation is present in your Machining Operations Manager. Additionally, if you change your mind it should be very easy to edit the depth of many holes simultaneously rather than one hole at a time.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

Reply to
jon_banquer

I'm looking to control spot drill depth / diameter without the need to add extra geometry / drill points.

The main point I'm trying to make with yet another Jon Banquer blog in- depth look at CADCAM systems is:

At the end of the SolidCAM video the depth / diameter of the spot chamfer is controlled regardless of where the geometry for the hole is located and *without the need for points which you added*.

Perhaps a newer version of Gibbs with solids and hole recognition might do this?

Regular Mastercam drilling can't do this without using Change At Point, which is not used by most experienced Mastercam users because the Change At Point user interface sucks in every way possible. I'll take a look at Mastercam Solid Drilling when I get a chance. I looked at Mastercam Solid Drilling very briefly and I didn't see a way to do this. I might have missed something. Also, Mastercam's user interface for Solid Drilling doesn't come close to comparing to how much easier SolidCAM user interface for managing drilling is.

There is also an add-in for Mastercam for Feature Based Drilling. The concept of buying an add-in to drill holes properly in a CADCAM system is completely insane to me.

Cimatron's advantage with drilling seems to be that it can control spot drill depth / diameter without the need to add extra geometry / drill points *and apparently Cimatron doesn't need a solid to do it*. I'm really not sure because I've never seen Cimatron drilling demonstrated or screen shots taken of how Cimatron drilling works.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

Reply to
jon_banquer

And:

If one tool is used for different diameters / depths SolidCAM will only create *one drilling operation* in the tree. (Machining Operations Manager in Mastercam terms)

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

Reply to
jon_banquer

Hmmmm, new meds/new doc?

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

Jon:

Ahh OK, I see what you want now. I didn't go to your blog before, so I didn't see the hole feature recognition vid.

Cranked up my ol' Model T Gibbs, made three 5/16" holes, Z-3", Z-2", and Z-1". Went to Gibbs' Wizards, chose "Hole Manager", selected the Run AFR icon (Automatic Feature Recognition), it selected the holes, I highlighted the holes it listed on it's mini-spreadsheet, then I checked "Make Group". Chose "Drill Process" in that window (not the normal drill process), then chose peck drill, clicked "Do It", and it created a Operation Tile, rendered it & it drilled the holes without me making any points or choosing any circles or selecting the holes individually. It automatically went .0647 deeper on each hole, to allow for the tip in my 135 degree drill. If I wanted the depth on the holes to be changed I could change one number in the drill process and it would change all the drill depths to match.

% N1O1*ALTERNATE Z DEPTHS.NCF N2* FORMAT: CNCVIS1 [M8] M756.15.1.PST N3* 8/9/09 AT 5:50 PM N4* OUTPUT IN ABSOLUTE INCHES N5* PARTS PROGRAMMED: 1 N6* FIRST TOOL NOT IN SPINDLE N7T2M6 N8* OPERATION 1: HOLES N9* AFRWG2 N10* TOOL 2: .3125 DRILL N11S7500M3 N12G17G90G0X-1.Y1.E1 N13Z1.H2M8 N14Z.1 N15G83G99X-1.Y1.Z-3.0647R0.1Q.3125F40. N16Y0.Z-2.0647 N17Y-1.Z-1.0647 N18G0G80Z1. N19G0G90M5M9 N20G53Z0 N21X0Y0Z0E0H0 N22M30 % ======================================================================

Some CAM systems have been sold on a modular basis for a long time. No need to buy what you're not going to use, but if Hole Feature Recognition is something someone could use, they should purchase it. How much does it cost?

Reply to
BottleBob

I'm not not clear whether Gibbs using AFR can do what I think a CAM system should be able to do.... use one tool to spot for say 8-32,

10-32 and 1/4-20 holes that are on different Z levels where the spot diameter needs to be different for each group of holes.

Is Gibbscam AFR able to do this and keep everything in one Operation Tile?

As you can see at the end of the SolidCAM video, SolidCAM can do this and keep everything in one machining operation in the tree.

If Gibbscam is able to do this and keep it all in *just one Operation Tile*?

I don't know and I don't care as I don't see the point in buying an add-in to do drilling. When it gets to that point I feel its time to change CADCAM systems. I also don't like the idea of using more than one user interface for drilling as I feel that's bad CADCAM system design.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

Reply to
jon_banquer

Good to see you back Bob.

-- Tom

brewertr

Sir

something's wrong I think , the start depth is different for

2 of the holes . if Z0 is for highest boss the rapid to and retract height is correct for that hole .

so as I interpret this code , the drill will be cutting air allot for 2 of the 3 holes .

looked at your web site your awesome

btw sorry for your loss , I lost my mom and sister within

2 months of each other , mom Alzheimer's, sis pancreatic cancer .It was expected more or less for both but still came as a shock .

rich

Reply to
RLEWIS

Rich:

Yeah, I noticed that in the graphic display of the toolpath after I had made my post. It's not a feature I normally use, so I obviously got some of the parameters wrong.

Why thank you. My homepage is pretty long in the tooth now. Earthlink locked it (no additions or changes allowed) about 6 years ago when they switched homepage creation programs. I never felt it was worth the bother to create a new one, even though in the intervening years some trick stuff has hit the floor, so to speak.

I appreciate your kind words.

Reply to
BottleBob

Tom:

Weeeelll, I'm not sure I'm back. You could call it a "backsliding relapse", or an attack of temporary insanity. LOL

Reply to
BottleBob

Jon:

I'm not sure if Gibbs (or at least my version of Gibbs) "can" do it. I'd have to play with it for awhile since I don't have any manuals at home. Plus I've kind of used up my self-alloted time budget for newsgroup cruising. Perhaps I'll play with it this coming week.

Reply to
BottleBob

Which is exactly how FBM Drill works, which you'd know if you weren't an uninformed fraud.

Reply to
Joe788

There was a bit of (temporary??) insanity here, the last few days.

Good to see you back Bob.

Reply to
Half-Nutz

Hey Bob, it's good to see you back.

Word of warning though, if you prove Jon wrong too many times, he may adopt your username and go insane pretending to be you for a week straight.

Reply to
Joe788

BB, you have the right idea. Give this place a break. Its too weird. with all JB b/s. No different than the boob tube most of the time. Oh well, just like every other good thing, it gets changed & screwed up by the John Q. Public & Mr know-it-alls.

Reply to
cncmillgil