RS232 Datalogging and Control

Not sure if this is a classical control theory NG, ignore me if it is, but I have a question about instrument control and datalogging via RS232.
I've been handed the task of controlling a thermal cycling oven and a digital voltmeter, both RS232 enabled, so as to control the oven from a computer ( automatically send commands ) and log data from the voltmeter.
Unfortunately my expertise in this area is somewhat out of date. MS Hyperterminal doesn't look capable enough, OK for logging data but no programmable capability.
My question is, is there a datalogging program available that also allows ascii characters to be sent to addressable instruments, in order to (a) control the oven and (b) log data from the DVM without programming?
I imagine writing a program in some language, possibly Visual Basic, is the way to go but that'll get me bogged down in learning a software language. However, if I can't buy in suitable software I'll just have to learn VB, but does anyone know of such software or the best way to go?
thanks,
Andy.

You might want to look at WinWedge, it was designed for this. http://www.taltech.com/products/winwedge.html
--Gene
Andy wrote:

As someone pointed out, WinWedge can probably do it. Depending on the manufacture of your DVM there maybe software available for data logging. Such as for Keithley instruments who provides a free Excel add-on that enables it to log data into a spreadsheet.

Thanks, I'll take a look,
Andy.
If you wish more sophistication you may try DAQFactory from http://www.azeotech.com /
thanks.