RS232 Datalogging and Control

Not sure if this is a classical control theory NG, ignore me if it is, but I have a question about instrument control and datalogging via RS232.

I've been handed the task of controlling a thermal cycling oven and a digital voltmeter, both RS232 enabled, so as to control the oven from a computer ( automatically send commands ) and log data from the voltmeter.

Unfortunately my expertise in this area is somewhat out of date. MS Hyperterminal doesn't look capable enough, OK for logging data but no programmable capability.

My question is, is there a datalogging program available that also allows ascii characters to be sent to addressable instruments, in order to (a) control the oven and (b) log data from the DVM without programming?

I imagine writing a program in some language, possibly Visual Basic, is the way to go but that'll get me bogged down in learning a software language. However, if I can't buy in suitable software I'll just have to learn VB, but does anyone know of such software or the best way to go?

thanks,

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

You might want to look at WinWedge, it was designed for this.

--Gene

Reply to
Gene S. Berkowitz

As someone pointed out, WinWedge can probably do it. Depending on the manufacture of your DVM there maybe software available for data logging. Such as for Keithley instruments who provides a free Excel add-on that enables it to log data into a spreadsheet.

Reply to
miles

Thanks, I'll take a look,

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

Reply to
Johnson Luqaz

If you are still looking for a solution, you might want to take a look at a product called WinWedge at

WinWedge is a seril communications tool that allows you to send and receive data directly from within other Windows programs without having to write any code. It is typically used with Excel to provide an interface to all sorts of RS232 devices including oven controllers and volt meters.

Reply to
Thomas Lutz